Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I upgrade from Snow Leopard to the next level Lion ?

How do I upgrade from Snow Leopard to the next level. ??

MacBook Pro (17-inch Core 2 Duo), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:25 PM

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu, check if the computer has at least 2GB of RAM, and if it does, click here and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Back up your data and check your applications for compatibility before upgrading. In particular, Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC programs such as versions of Microsoft Office prior to 2008.

(126883)

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2015 6:25 PM in response to DASMAC1

Choose About this Mac from the Apple menu, check if the computer has at least 2GB of RAM, and if it does, click here and order a download code for Lion 10.7.

Back up your data and check your applications for compatibility before upgrading. In particular, Mac OS X 10.7 and newer don't support PowerPC programs such as versions of Microsoft Office prior to 2008.

(126883)

Apr 30, 2015 6:23 PM in response to Niel

THANK YOU VERY MUCH. I just ordered it. THANK YOU. I am doing this upgrade so I can install Norton. My other MacBook Pro (newer) was found to have some minor virus. Also, they would not let me upgrade to Yosemite with only Snow Leopard. Maybe with Lion installed, I can eventually upgrade to Yosemite.

MacBook Pro Memory of 3 GB. 17 inch. Processsor 2.33 Intel Core 2 /duo

Apr 30, 2015 7:58 PM in response to DASMAC1

I am doing this upgrade so I can install Norton.

Bad reasoning. You should avoid Norton. There are no active viruses for the Mac. Certainly nothing that would prevent you from Upgrading to Yosemite, if your Mac meets the criteria. You would have to have a MacBook Pro 3.1 or above to use Yosemite.

If you have a MacBook Pro 2.1, you're probably better off sticking with Snow Leopard, as Lion is a dog not worth $20.

Once again, I recommend not installing Norton.

This is why you need to explain, fully, what you're doing in your first posting. I'm sure that Niel would have not made that recommendation if you had mentioned why you wanted to do it.

How do I upgrade from Snow Leopard to the next level Lion ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.