Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can we copy a Dock setup to another Mac?

I manage a number of Macs in a lab. They are all running Yosemite and have the same apps installed. I've created a Dock setup on one of them and would like to copy that setup to all of them.

I tried copying ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.dock.plist to one of the other systems and then issued "killall -HUP Dock" on the other machine. This didn't update the Dock on the second machine. In fact, it seems to have reset it to the install defaults.

Is there a way to do this? Is there a cache tree somewhere that I need to clobber before copying the plist over to the new systems?

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), 6GB RAID 0, BRU PE, ATTO, HP LTO-5

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 8:52 AM

Yes you can, but make sure you don't have customs icons.

Go to this folder: ~/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Copy that file to a usb stick or something, and place that file in the folder '' ~/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist '' on your macbook. But make sure you have a bakcup of your old plist file of your macbook. Just drag and drop the new plist file on your macbook and your good to go

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 8:52 AM in response to Tim Jones13

Yes you can, but make sure you don't have customs icons.

Go to this folder: ~/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist

Copy that file to a usb stick or something, and place that file in the folder '' ~/library/preferences/com.apple.dock.plist '' on your macbook. But make sure you have a bakcup of your old plist file of your macbook. Just drag and drop the new plist file on your macbook and your good to go

Can we copy a Dock setup to another Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.