Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erased HD to sell, how to get Server app back?

So I have a mac mini with no optical drive and have erased the drive prior to selling on behalf of my work, as I usually would. After erasing I thought to use the internet recovery mode but that prompted me to install Lion. The machine had previously been upgraded to Yosemite so I had no desire to go back to ML and have to upgrade again. I was going to put Yosemite on it, using a boot installer I've made. But now I am wondering how I get the server app back? I asked my boss to check his purchases in app store but server is not listed. Do I have install Yosemite first, login with app store and then it will detect I have the right to download server app? I wanted to sell the machine in ready to setup state, so had no intention of setting up account or anything on it.

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 4:31 PM

6 replies

Apr 30, 2015 5:07 PM in response to Niel

Succinct :-)

So if I install an OS I have downloaded from the app store it is tied to my Apple ID. This is not a good situation for reselling. I can understand this for other apps but it makes no sense to me that I am then unable to restore an OS except to the original version via the internet recovery mode - which thanks to my poor internet connection will take about 7 hours. I cannot include the current OS even though it is free but must make the buyer do all this themselves.

So the buyer will be able to obtain the server app for free? When I list it on ebay I need to be very clear about what is included and what process is required. It was a lot simpler when installation media came in the box.

Sorry for my ignorance in this, I appreciate your help.

Erased HD to sell, how to get Server app back?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.