Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud photo library not uploading

I've been using the new Photos app on Yosemite (10.10.3) for the last few days to upload a large number of photos. Last night, I imported my largest batch yet: 5,328 photos and videos. Well, it imported just fine, and they're all available in the Photos app, but the upload status in the "Preferences" display has been stuck on "Uploading 5,328 Items" with no progress showing for over a day. The photos are also not visible on my phone at all, so it doesn't seem to be doing any uploading at all.

I have plenty of space left in iCloud (~180 GB), and this upload only consists of ~10GB of photos and videos.

Help?

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:51 PM

Photos > Preferences > iCloud. Try pausing the upload, then some time later resume it again and see if this helps. Re-launch Photos and re-start your Mac, as well.

14 replies

Apr 30, 2015 7:21 PM in response to Rysz

Thanks for the suggestion.

Unfortunately, I had previously tried these, to no avail. So far, I've:

1. Closed and restarted Photos several times

2. Paused the upload and clicked "Resume" several times

3. Rebooted

4. Checked for updates (none available)

5. Navigated into the photos, hoping to trigger an upload

So far, nothing has worked, and I'm still stuck on "Uploading 5,328 Items" with zero progress shown.

Apr 30, 2015 7:34 PM in response to Csound1

The minimum time has long since passed. My total to upload is ~10GB. My upload bandwith is ~6Mb/s and I've been waiting for well over a day with zero progress shown, and zero new photos available on my phone. So it actually isn't uploading. It's not a progress bug. And it was working flawlessly so far, with over 15GB already uploaded during previous imports.

May 1, 2015 3:23 AM in response to rsm7777

Log into iCloud.com under the account in question and then pick the Photos app and see if you get the error shown below. My photos stopped uploading and it was because of this issue. I've sent the error report to Apple two days ago and haven't heard anything.They're other people having the same issues. Good luck! Scott

User uploaded file

May 1, 2015 6:08 AM in response to rsm7777

What worked for me was to completely log out of iCloud in my Mac->System Preferences, restart the computer, and then log back in to iCloud. I was stuck uploading 15,000 + items for two weeks with it killing my Internet connection. Once I did this, I was able to upload all items in two nights (I paused the upload from Photos->Preferences during the day to not interfere with my Internet access. Also, you should not that the number updating doesn't count down. It changes in batches. But, it should change from time-to-time if the upload is proceeding. After the first night of successful uploading, this number dropped from 15000 plus to 5000.

May 1, 2015 6:39 AM in response to Stephen Hanson

Thanks for the information. I am not getting that error if I log into iCloud.com.

I tried clicking the "Sign Out" button from System Preferences but it asks if you're sure you want to stop using iCloud -- and that all iCloud files would be deleted from this mac. I don't want to do that. And I had already tried restarting my mac multiple times.

Where do you file bug reports with Apple?

May 4, 2015 5:56 AM in response to rsm7777

The logging out and back into iCloud account seems to have worked for me. It is once again doing uploads. I did get the warning message about deleting all iCloud data from my iMac, but I proceeded anyway and that seem to be okay also. When I logged back into iCloud everything was again available.

I just hope the uploading does not stop again.

May 14, 2015 8:28 AM in response to Cheese7007

Took 15 days to upload 39,000 photos. Now the issue is that all the photos are on my computer and on my Iphone. I deleted a few pictures from the phone to see if they would not be deleted on the computer but they were. It stated that deleting the photos would delete on all devices. I did not think the computer was considered a device. How can I delete photos from my phone, yet keep on computer?

iCloud photo library not uploading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.