Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac mini won't reboot after a software update.

I started my Mac mini from the install disc and then needed to do a software upgrade. It downloaded the updates and needs to reboot. When I click to reboot it freezes on the shutdown screen. I can hard turn it off and back on but it doesn't register the restart.

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 6:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 13, 2017 7:18 PM

I had the same issue and was able to get the update to install. I decided to check more info to see if there were more than 1 update and I found there was. I installed all the non OS updates and they went through. Then after that I did the main OS update alone and it went through without problems.

36 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 13, 2017 7:18 PM in response to stephd11

I had the same issue and was able to get the update to install. I decided to check more info to see if there were more than 1 update and I found there was. I installed all the non OS updates and they went through. Then after that I did the main OS update alone and it went through without problems.

May 1, 2015 8:40 AM in response to lllaass

It starts just fine. I can't use iTunes because it is too old. That is when I tried to do the software update and restart. It appears to have downloaded the updates just fine but when I go to restart, it just freezes on the shutdown screen and does nothing. I've left it for hours and still nothing. If I turn it off by holding down the power button, it shuts down and I can turn it back on, but the update doesn't go into effect.

I will try resetting the SMC and NVRAM/PRAM when I get home tonight.

Thank you for your help.

May 2, 2015 3:06 PM in response to lllaass

It has successfully been installed. the message box staying that there are updates available pops up. I click continue to install and restart. It downloaded 5 items. Then the window pops up saying the download is complete and I need to restart to complete the install. I click on restart and the icons all go away and it's just the backdrop, like a normal shut down, but it never gets past that point.

I have just redone it again To get the complete steps for you.

My Mac mini won't reboot after a software update.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.