Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

migratedphotolibrary

My iPhoto library has migrated automatically after Photo.app has been installed (MBP OS X 10.10.3).

now, in my Pictures folder, I have 2 libraries : "iPhoto Library.migratedphotolibrary" and "Photos Library.photoslibrary", each of them weighting 60GB+

I noticed the duplicated libraries only lately. I did import many new photos with Photo.app since the migration, and noticed this duplication several days/weeks after the migration happened.

1) is it normal to have the 2 libraries in parallel ? shouldn't I have only one single library remaining on the disk , and iPhoto app disabled ? (my assumption after reading other posts on disabled iPhoto.app)

2) how can I check/compare status of the 2 libraries so to ensure all iPhoto pictures have been migrated to "Photo Library", so I can erase "iPhoto Library" safely ?

Thanks in advance.

Philippe.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 10:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 2:47 PM

1. It's normal. It's not using double the disk space. Although both report weighing 60 gigs, it's the same 60 gigs. It's like this so you can connote to use iPhoto if you prefer. iPhoto.app is not disabled and runs fine on 10.3.3. Some folks need to update to the latest version.

2. Photos that have been imported via Photos.app will not be visible in iPhoto.

3. You need to compare them for yourself, manually. I spot checked.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 2:47 PM in response to phlasserre

1. It's normal. It's not using double the disk space. Although both report weighing 60 gigs, it's the same 60 gigs. It's like this so you can connote to use iPhoto if you prefer. iPhoto.app is not disabled and runs fine on 10.3.3. Some folks need to update to the latest version.

2. Photos that have been imported via Photos.app will not be visible in iPhoto.

3. You need to compare them for yourself, manually. I spot checked.

May 2, 2015 7:13 PM in response to Yer_Man

Thanks Terence.

Hmm... I was confident my xdiskusage / Disk Inventory X / OmniDiskSweeper / ... did not fool me by counting twice some symbolic links :

To make the total of what resides on my disk, I need the to add the counts of the 2 Libraries (i.e.: I need twice the ~60Go to reach the 1To of my disk, if not I'm missing these GigaBytes)

When I have a minute, I will investigate further chasing disk node numbers.

migratedphotolibrary

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.