Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home Sharing over Ethernet

Ok, I am officially about to go insane.

Have used home sharing between my iMac and ATV 3 for years over WiFi with no major issues. Due to a recent move, the WiFi signal between the two is now pretty weak so switched everything to ethernet and now cannot get it to work for the life of me and I have no idea why.

Both iMac and ATV3 are connected to the same router, IPs, subnet mask, all that, are on the same network. I've changed the sharing name on my iMac as suggested elsewhere, I've turned everything off and on and again a thousand times. ATV3 has been reset and is only using ethernet, yet still it cannot find my library.

I am beyond baffled. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apple TV

Posted on May 1, 2015 12:45 AM

22 replies

May 1, 2015 1:28 AM in response to Rudegar

Thanks for the suggestion but have also tried this. Pinged all the ports, specifically 3689 for iTunes sharing and it is open when the iMac is connected to only the ethernet.

The thing is, when I switch both the iMac and the Apple TV back to Wifi, they talk to each other fine. It's unusable due to buffering but they are at least communicating. When I switch both back to ethernet, despite still using the same router, I get nothing.

May 1, 2015 2:02 AM in response to Trunk14

Ok, update, I swapped some cables round to see if there was a dead cable. There's not, however if I run a really long cable direct from the iMac to the router, this solves the problem. Previously it was talking to the router via a Belkin powerline. Previously this never used to make a difference although now I am guessing the Powerline adapter is changing the subnet mask or something so it's not recognising the end machine.

Anyone experienced this before?

May 1, 2015 5:51 AM in response to Trunk14

OK. Couple of questions, with apologies if you've been rond this before:

1. If you switch of wifi at the wifi router, does the Apple TV connect (in the TV network settings)?

2. Could this be a DHCP issue? I had some significant DHCP issues because I had my wifi set up oddly (I was extending a wifi network instead of cloning - this shouldn't affect you, but I thought I'd mention it). If you have more than one wifi router, this is definitely worth a look

3. Have you tried connecting another device to the same cable in the same location as the TV?

May 1, 2015 7:05 AM in response to nick101

Nick -

1) Yes. Apple TV can connect to iTunes Store, Netflix etc over just ethernet, presuming this is what you mean. Just not Home sharing.

2) No range extenders, only one router, and DHCP set manually...

3) Yep. Used the same cables from MacBook to router and homesharing off of that works fine. Something is happening when it's going through the powerline. Never used to be an issue and cannot for the life of me work it out. Driving me nuts.

May 1, 2015 7:48 AM in response to Trunk14

Ok, update, I swapped some cables round to see if there was a dead cable. There's not, however if I run a really long cable direct from the iMac to the router, this solves the problem. Previously it was talking to the router via a Belkin powerline. Previously this never used to make a difference although now I am guessing the Powerline adapter is changing the subnet mask or something so it's not recognising the end machine.

You can figure out this part of it easily by seeing what IP address and mask are assigned to the iMac in each case. Compare to the router's address/mask and that of the iMac.

May 1, 2015 4:44 PM in response to jjkraw

Yes, the IP and the mask and 100% compatible between what the iMac is running and the ATV3 is seeing. So, in theory, the powerline isn't doing anything that should effect and yet still it flat out refuses to work. I am out of ideas. Home sharing is fickle at the best of times but this is just insane.

May 14, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Trunk14

Are you still in the state where, if you take the powerline out of the setup, that it works with just the Ethernet connections? If you could include some topology pictures of what works and what doesn't, that might help.

I'm not familiar with how Home Sharing works under the hood, but I suspect that the shared resource (Mac) advertises its existence via Bonjour / MDNS. It may be the case that those multicast packets are not getting to the ATV with the powerline there, but the only way to tell would be to use a traffic sniffer like WireShark (but I'd want some confirmation that Home Sharing uses Bonjour before going that route).

May 14, 2015 6:38 AM in response to jjkraw

I can get home sharing to work, although unstable, if I use WiFi. Unfortunately I haven't got an ethernet cable long enough to test it directly into the router although I suspect you are right and the powerline is causing an issue. What confuses me about this though is that it used to work, through the same powerline, with the same settings, perfectly.

So the set up currently is ATV3 ethernet into the router. Router ethernet out into a nearby powerline adapter connected to the mains. Other end of the powerline in the office which has an ethernet into my iMac. Net connection to the iMac from powerline is stable and fast.

May 14, 2015 7:19 AM in response to Trunk14

OK, I'm going to back up a few steps just to be sure I'm not making any wrong assumptions. My apologies if this seems tedious but since I'm not looking over your shoulder, I just want to make sure I'm working with the correct information.

When you say "it doesn't work" on the ATV, what exactly does that mean? Does the iMac share show up at all under Computers on the ATV? If so, what are the next steps you take and what happens?

Home Sharing over Ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.