Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ibook on macbok Pro (yosemite) keeps downloading the book over and over

I am first time Mac/OS X user.

At the end of "Get to know your Mac" tour, it was suggested that I download the free "Macbook Pro Essentials"

So I did.

iTunes store shows this as "Downloaded"

in the iBooks app, I see the book with a little "cloud" icon on the top right corner.

I click on the book and/or Cmd+o, and can see that book is being downloaded (9.8MB) I can see the progress reaching 100%, I see the "Open" button

That is it.

Above keeps repeating.

The "Cloud" icon doesn't go away.

I have rebooted (hoping that "fixes" something)

I have already "authorized" the device.

Nothing has helped.

I have iBooks 1.1.1 - if it matters.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Apr 30, 2015 11:23 PM

4 replies

May 1, 2015 4:04 PM in response to desipenguin

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

Back up all data.

Quit iBooks if it's running. Test after taking each of the following steps that you haven't already taken. Stop when the problem is resolved. Quit iBooks again before going on to the next step.

Step 1

Hold down the option key and select Go Library from the Finder menu bar. From the Library folder, move the following item, if it exists, to the Trash:

Cookies/com.apple.ibooks.cookies

Step 2

Delete this item in the same way:

Preferences/com.apple.ibooks.plist

Step 3

Delete this item:

Containers/com.apple.iBooksX

and move this one to the Desktop:

Containers/com.apple.BKAgentService

Restart the computer. To log out and log back in is not enough—you must restart.

When you launch iBooks, you'll be prompted to reset the library. Confirm. The library will be empty. Rebuild it by downloading your purchases from the iBooks Store and importing any other content you added. You may find the added content in the folder named "com.apple.BKAgentService" that you moved to the Desktop.

May 2, 2015 10:45 AM in response to Linc Davis

Davis: Big Thanks !!!

The problem is resolved.

Following was different than expected:

Expected:

"When you launch iBooks, you'll be prompted to reset the library. Confirm. The library will be empty."

What Happened:

No such prompt. Everything "looked" exactly the same.

But this time when I clicked on the book, and download "finished", I saw "New" on the book icon, instead of "cloud" icon.

.. and Clicking "Open" in the Download list, actually opened the book too.

Query:

Do I move "com.apple.BKAgentService" back to Containers folder?

I don't like files on the Desktop 🙂

ibook on macbok Pro (yosemite) keeps downloading the book over and over

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.