Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Allowed remote access to scammer

I foolishly allowed remote access to my Mac by an apparent scammer. There was a popup that wouldn't let me go further until I called an toll-free number saying that my computer was affected by hackers and needed to be cleaned up. I was suspicious but the representative assured they were associated with Apple. I allowed them access to my computer and even agreed to pay $350 (I have stopped payment of the check). After about 40 minutes of access they told me it was clean. Now I know they are scammers and my question is are they still able to gain access to this computer and is info such as passwords to accounts and credit card info in jeopardy? I called Apple support and they checked things out after this event and didn't find anything on the computer to indicate that they would have future access. Does anyone know different? By the way, the company is AskMask.com - beware.

iMac, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 1, 2015 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 8:31 AM

I tried using the command r keys and it doesn't do anything except keep clicking. Hope they haven't somehow prevented me from re-installing the system...

10 replies

May 1, 2015 1:47 AM in response to Mrpostman2

This is without a doubt a scam. You did right in stopping the cheque.

I would advise changing all of your passwords immediately, especially payment details etc. I would also do a full system re-install just to be on the safe side, this will remove anything they may have left behind in order to fleece you even more. Those who have had access to your computer now have all of your personal data, who knows what they have/haven't seen. It's best to be on the safe side!

May 1, 2015 1:51 AM in response to Mrpostman2

Follow the steps provided above (change emails, passwords) and re-install your system using the instructions below.

First of all, save all the files you want to keep (photos, documents etc.) on a separate drive or in the cloud. Make sure you are connected to the Internet. After that, follow these steps:

1. Restart your Mac. Once it restarts and the grey screen appears, press and hold the Command and R keys.
  2. Select Disk Utility and click Continue.
  3. Select your startup disk on the left and click the Erase tab.
  4. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the Format menu, enter a name, and then click Erase.
  5. Select Reinstall OS X, click Continue, and then follow the instructions on your screen.

May 1, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Mrpostman2

I hope you have a backup made before you allowed the scammer access. Besides getting $350 and looking over your computer for personal information it is possible that malware was installed on your computer.

Definitely erase your hard drive as D.Cohen recommends. If you have been backing up your computer it should be safe to use the Setup Assistant to reinstall your software and user directory if the backup is prior to the intrusion or if you can choose a TimeMachine backup point prior to the intrusion.

Besides changing your computer related passwords you also need to consider what personal information is on your computer and take steps. At the very least I'd seriously consider signing up with a reputable credit check company and keep track for the next several months. (Consider contacting your credit card companies and this might be offered free of charge.)

May 1, 2015 8:29 AM in response to dwb

I did not backup my computer but there isn't much information I worry about...mostly use it for recreation/internet. I have changed most of my passwords including logon so hopefully they won't be able to get in. I have gone to Apple Support and they did a scan and found no malware - only one ad blocker installed. I have cancelled the one credit card I use and they are issuing a new one and have informed the bank, may get a new checking account. I will start backing up - lesson learned.

May 1, 2015 11:04 AM in response to Mrpostman2

What version Mac OS are you using? If the computer originally came with OS 10.7 or higher and you cannot boot with command R use command option R to Internet recovery boot. If it came with an OS install disc you can use that. Note, you have to hold the command R or command option R you can't just type and release.

May 1, 2015 11:37 AM in response to Mrpostman2

hanks...that's the issue...it is the newer version....By the way, I just switched to Mac and I had heard that they are virtually immune from issues like this...guess that is wrong...maybe just not prone to viruses... Thanks again for you input...

No computer is immune to user error. It's like the Nigerian prince email scam. It has nothing to do with the computer being used.

Other examples are the Internal Revenue Service scam over the tellerphone or the guy on the street corner wanting to sell you a Rolex watch for $50. . The entire responsibility rests on the user's shoulders, not the device used.

User uploaded file

Allowed remote access to scammer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.