Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

10.6.8 Server Migration to 10.10.x Server - Advice

Hi,

I have reasonably extensive experience of OS X client software but not of the server app and that side of things.

I currently work in a school where we have an aged Mac Mini (2007) running 10.6.8 server. This supports our small OS X client network where we have approx 60 managed iMacs also running 10.6.8. These authenticate at login to our Window AD.

We would like to move these clients to 10.10.x as we would like to start using the latest version of Logic Pro, Final Cut Pro and Garageband but obviously we need the backend infrastructure in place in order to achieve this. As I understand it the 1st step on this road would be getting a server on the network with 10.10.x and Server v4.1 so as to support later client OS versions.

All of the client hardware will support 10.10.x OK but the aged Mac Mini will not. This means I can't do an 'in place' server upgrade and thus have to leave my very small comfort zone!

We have purchased a new Mac Mini which will happily accept 10.10.x and Server 4.1 but I'm really after some advice in terms of the best way to approach a migration (or whatever) to achieve a switch over so I can retire the aged Mac Mini.

My 'theory' is that it should just be a matter of installing 10.10.x and Server 4.1 on the new hardware and using the migration assistant? But what if this goes wrong?

I would of course secure a full bootable backup of the older Mac Mini before even starting but can I just revert back to that machine if, ultimately, the migration/upgrade to the new hardware fails?

Any advice on due process would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who has been in a similar situation. I'm very interested in any snags that have been experienced and ways of working through these.

Many many thanks in advance.

Radar

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Server 4.x

Posted on May 1, 2015 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:00 AM

My approach to this problem has been to start by setting up the new os x 10.10 servers and just two os x 10.10 clients. I've plodded through setting up the server1 and client 1 and then checking that server2 replicates correctly and client 2 can be deployed and managed via DeployStudio and Profile Manager. At the moment I am using client 2 for my own day to day work to ensure I spot snags before the students do.

Once I happy with the microcosm I've created, it's a matter of syncing /Users on the old and new servers with rsync and telling DeployStudio that the hundred or so clients that are currently running 10.6.8 and are binding to 10.6.8 servers need to be re-imaged with the workflow that client 2 is currently using. (Actually I'll probably do one client per subnet first before hitting the 'Make it so!' switch.)

The most laborious part of the migration for me has been recasting MCX preferences set with Workgroup Manager as 'profiles'. I have never been happy with automated migration for servers. Setting up a server is not particularly difficult and you end up with a clean and documented installation that you understand fully that uses current methods and no legacy settings or obsolete hacks.

I've no idea whether this is the most efficient or best method, but it feels safe to me; even after deployment, until I shutdown my beloved Xserves for the last time I'll be able to roll the whole system back to 10.6.8 within a couple of hours if something goes wrong.

C.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 7:00 AM in response to ITTechSchool

My approach to this problem has been to start by setting up the new os x 10.10 servers and just two os x 10.10 clients. I've plodded through setting up the server1 and client 1 and then checking that server2 replicates correctly and client 2 can be deployed and managed via DeployStudio and Profile Manager. At the moment I am using client 2 for my own day to day work to ensure I spot snags before the students do.

Once I happy with the microcosm I've created, it's a matter of syncing /Users on the old and new servers with rsync and telling DeployStudio that the hundred or so clients that are currently running 10.6.8 and are binding to 10.6.8 servers need to be re-imaged with the workflow that client 2 is currently using. (Actually I'll probably do one client per subnet first before hitting the 'Make it so!' switch.)

The most laborious part of the migration for me has been recasting MCX preferences set with Workgroup Manager as 'profiles'. I have never been happy with automated migration for servers. Setting up a server is not particularly difficult and you end up with a clean and documented installation that you understand fully that uses current methods and no legacy settings or obsolete hacks.

I've no idea whether this is the most efficient or best method, but it feels safe to me; even after deployment, until I shutdown my beloved Xserves for the last time I'll be able to roll the whole system back to 10.6.8 within a couple of hours if something goes wrong.

C.

May 1, 2015 7:09 AM in response to cdhw

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Sounds like an excellent plan. I had thought the ideal solution would be to start again but wasn't sure in what sort of scenario that would be possible. Seeing your reply has cemented that thought and given me direction.

Now all I need to do is figure out the configuration of the existing server and work from there(!) what could possibly go wrong?(!)

Look out for the thread "10.10.x Server Migration Failed - Server Lost"......

Jun 1, 2015 6:56 AM in response to WVRTech

Hi,

As yet I am only in the early planning stages. I am documenting the old server first and then doing a fresh install of Yosemite and 4.1 server to the new hardware.

Being a school most of the work will need to be done over the next school holidays in July/August.

I was considering trying to backup the existing OD on my 10.6.8 server and then restoring it on the new one. Views? I have seen other people recommend this route.

All the Mac kit here that I look after was inherited when I took the job. With little or no documentation I'm having a hard time convincing myself that I know what I'm doing! As I have little experience of server and little to go on with regard to the existing setup I'd like to make the process as work shy as possible!

Hope your migration goes well.

Radar

10.6.8 Server Migration to 10.10.x Server - Advice

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.