Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Estimating disk storage for different song genres?

I just bought a new iPod Touch 64GB, but my music collection is significantly larger than that. (I miss my old iPod Classic!) So I will have to pick and choose what I put on the new iPod.

In iTunes for Mac, I'd like to find out the size in GB required to store each of several genres of songs so that I can figure out what to leave out. Is there a way to get the disk storage for certain genres? Or can I block-define a bunch of songs and get the disk storage required for them?

Posted on May 1, 2015 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:32 AM

You could make smart playlists for each genre and look at the summary information which can be optionally displayed at the bottom of each playlist window.

4 replies

May 1, 2015 7:32 AM in response to FrankO23

Or can I block-define a bunch of songs and get the disk storage required for them?

And to answer that part of your question:

Yes. Just set up your "block." If you just want to do a genre at a time, the Column Browser will be the most convenient.

Make sure the Status Bar is visible at the bottom. (If it is not, enable it with View > Show Status Bar.) It will show the total play time and storage needed.

If you wish, you can highlight a subset of the track in the view. Once you have highlighted more than one song, the Status Bar switches to show the time/size for the highlighted subset.

May 1, 2015 7:38 AM in response to ed2345

Great, ed2345's suggestion of enabling the status bar so that I can see the total storage size of a bunch of defined songs worked for my needs.

A related question -- I'd like to find a way to take the genres that I will not be putting on the iPod and move them all to the end of the list (or otherwise separate them out in some way) so that I can quickly define and transfer the genres I want without a lot of hunting among the genres. I tried putting a tilde at the beginning of some genre names, but iTunes ignores this and just alphabetizes the genres by the alphabet letters in the genre name. Similarly, other characters such as { were also ignored. I can put "zz" at the beginning of some genre names to send them all to the end of the alphabetized genre list, but this isn't very attractive. Is there some other smart way to make some selected genres appear at the end of a list of displayed genres (or otherwise separate them out from the display of the [thousands of] songs I want to transfer to the iPod)?

Estimating disk storage for different song genres?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.