Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

internet and e-mail will not work after awaking from sleep mode, WiFi looks to be OK but connection gone, Running Yosemite 10.10.3

internet and e-mail will not work after awaking from sleep mode, WiFi looks to be OK but connection gone, Running Yosemite 10.10.3

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.6), Pages Program

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:10 AM

2 replies

May 1, 2015 10:29 AM in response to Marredmed

Please read this whole message before doing anything.

This procedure is a diagnostic test. It’s unlikely to solve your problem. Don’t be disappointed when you find that nothing has changed after you complete it.

The purpose of the test is to determine whether the problem is caused by third-party software that loads automatically at startup or login, by a peripheral device, by a font conflict, or by corruption of the file system or of certain system caches.

Disconnect all wired peripherals except those needed for the test, and remove all aftermarket expansion cards, if applicable. Start up in safe mode and log in to the account with the problem.

Note: If FileVault is enabled in OS X 10.9 or earlier, or if a firmware password is set, or if the startup volume is a software RAID, you can’t do this. Ask for further instructions.

Safe mode is much slower to start up and run than normal, with limited graphics performance, and some things won’t work at all, including sound output and Wi-Fi on certain models. The next normal startup may also be somewhat slow.

The login screen appears even if you usually login automatically. You must know your login password in order to log in. If you’ve forgotten the password, you will need to reset it before you begin.

Test while in safe mode. Same problem?

After testing, restart as usual (not in safe mode) and verify that you still have the problem. Post the results of the test.

May 4, 2015 6:23 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you Linc. I really appreciate the help. In this case the fix, or the diagnostic you suggested did not solve the problem. I disconnected everything but the power and rebooted in the "safe-mode", as you mentioned things like speakers did not work but the unit preformed as expected. I let it sleep overnight and when I opened it the next morning same problem. It would not get new mail and the open tabs on the browser would not link or update and I could not open a new page or collect or send e-mail. I use Firefox so I tried the same with Safari but it was the same problem.

Restarted the system and it was fine. Restarted it again and let it go to sleep again and the had the same problem when I awoke it. All 5 bars are there for the WiFi but no action.

I really believe this started happening around Rls 10.8 but I can't really tell. I have a MAC Computer that also runs the same release and it seems to work just fine. I may have the problem with my iPad and iPhone as well when the phone is in WiFi mode. Have not spent enough time and made notes on those devices to be certain. That means that the mobile devices may have this problem but not the MAC, so I would say WiFi seems OK. I suppose I could go back in the "Time Machine" to one of the earlier releases but not sure where to go back to.. Anyway I appreciate the help no matter what.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.