Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV in a Large Organization

Good afternoon fellow tech enthusiasts,

I work in IT for a company in the United Kingdom, a few months ago we were given an Apple TV 3 for our department. Now, we didn't see any use for this device at first but it now has a purpose! I plan to deploy the Apple TV into the main boardroom and connect it up to a 70" display on the wall. The TV will then be used by high level employees to mirror images, videos and other relevant multimedia onto the display.

Now the problem is that by connecting the apple device to our network all users are able to see the device (apple tv) on their iPhone's and in turn they're also able to put images etc on the tv. The real problem is that users are able to SEE it on the network.

What I want to know is, is there any way to use it and not have it on our network? We need to use it, but not on the network, is there any way!

(FYI all employees have company iPhones, the Apple TV will only be used by high level employees).

Thanks in advance! 🙂

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:17 AM

12 replies

May 1, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Jaydon.Cherrett

Others may have more elegant solutions, but off the top of my head:

Put the Apple TV on a separate IP subnet. Assign the WiFi on that subnet a unique SSID (different from others used within the company) and password-protect it.

Only give out the password on a need-to-know basis (i.e., to those presenting at a meeting) and change it after each use.

When not in use, unplug it.

May 2, 2015 4:19 AM in response to jjkraw

Thank you for your answer.

The problem here is that the device would be placed in the main boardroom, which is in the same building as finance and sales. The users in these departments would then be able to pick up this apple device on their iPhones, my boss doesn't want them to be able to see it on the network at all. Any way around this?

May 2, 2015 5:58 AM in response to Jaydon.Cherrett

It isn't a matter of which building it is in. It has to do with which network (or more technically, subnet or VLAN) it is on.

The ATV wasn't really made for corporate networks. It was made to function in a flat home network where all devices can see one another. Because my WiFi is secure, my neighbors can't see my Apple TVs because they can't even join the WiFi network (unless I give them the password). Even if we live in the same building.

In your case, you'd need to do something similar - create a separate network (subnet) that only authorized users can join and locate the ATV within that network. Then the finance and sales people can't get to it because they can't get onto the network.

Talk to an IT person - let her or him know you want a separate subnet or VLAN w/ WiFi for this boardroom.

EDIT: Reread and you are in IT, so you know what I mean by subnet or VLAN. The Apple TVs are discovered by multicast DNS, which doesn't leave the boundaries of the subnet (i.e., if the ATV is on 192.168.1.x/24, no one on 192.168.2.x/24 can see it). That is why you can isolate it by subnet.

May 2, 2015 6:01 AM in response to jjkraw

Many of the Apple TV features are aimed directly at corporate situations, the problem here is that the requirement is unusual not that it's corporate.

I doubt a separate network altogether would break the bank in a corporate situation and not only would it hide the Apple TV from anyone who wasn't given access to that network, but in a corporate environment it will possibly be more reliable. (You'd need to disable Bluetooth though).

May 12, 2015 6:41 AM in response to Jaydon.Cherrett

It can be done. You'd have to set it up through your network to be only available on a certain VLAN. It would be done through the Bonjour gateway. I would talk to your Network Admin, they can probably help you. There's a lot of online support, but each company has different setups. Do you have an in house Network Admin, or is it outsourced? I work at a school, and we have it set up so only people in the specific room they're in can access the Apple TV in that room. If you want it completely hidden, the only option is creating a separate SSID that's hidden.

Using Apple TV in a Large Organization

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.