Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need to stop Apps from updating - iPhone5, 8.3

I work for large chunks of time where there is no WiFi, and maybe occasional cell coverage when the winds are right.

I rely on some downloaded apps for work which I update when I am in civilization.

Moved to 8.3, and now when apps sense an upgrade available, they don't allow me to say "no" and keep using the old version until I can get somewhere with a good connection to upgrade. The upgrade starts as soon as i try to use the app, then says "waiting" or "installing" for the next week or so until I can get to some WiFi spot. this keeps me from being able to use the app, and keeps me from doing some work.

It seems i have just enough connection for the apps to find out there's an update, but not enough to actually do the update.

Have turned OFF: Settings>iTunes & App Store>Automatic Downloads for Music, Apps, Books, and Updates.

Yet, the icons for two apps that i need are grayed-out, and when i press them, i get "waiting".

Been waiting for days now, as i don't have a good enough connection to the universe, and i can't use the apps.

I know Steve can't conceive of someone not wanting the "latest and greatest" running the second it is available, but this change from previous iOS makes my iPhone a useless device for me. Previous iOS allowed me to say "No" when a new update was detected but I didn't want to install it.

How do i set things so that updates of ANYTHING only occur when i say "Update", and not when Steve decides that it's time to update?

iPhone 5, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:44 AM

3 replies

Need to stop Apps from updating - iPhone5, 8.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.