Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I would like to free up some space on my computer and move my iphoto library to the time capsule and easily access it. Also, would I be able to access them via the TC if I purchased a new computer?

I am using my TC as an external hard drive, I would like to remove my photos from my computer to free up space. I'm wondering:

1. Once the photos are moved, how do I access them via the TC, AND will i still be able to print them and see them the way they were set up in my iphoto on the computer?

2. If I purchase a new computer, will I still be able to access them just as easily?

3. What is the process to move the photos to the TC?

I am afraid that if I "erase" them from my computer I will not be able to access them.

Posted on May 1, 2015 8:12 AM

1 reply

May 1, 2015 3:55 PM in response to jjeenn38

Are you still using iphoto?

If so you should NOT move the iphoto library to the TC and use it.

Apple says you will corrupt the library doing this.

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS5168

Although mostly about FAT32 it adds network drives.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1198

Now what I cannot tell you is if the same rules apply to the new photo app. Apple might have fixed the problem.

For iphoto you should offload the photos to USB drive plugged into your computer.. or any external drive.. the faster the interface the better.

Apple have explicit instructions for moving the library.

iPhoto '11: Move your iPhoto library to a new location

I would like to free up some space on my computer and move my iphoto library to the time capsule and easily access it. Also, would I be able to access them via the TC if I purchased a new computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.