Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SIMPLE photo organiser and viewer required

Can anyone help me to find an app that can organise my photos SIMPLY! I am obviously not a typical Mac user. i only want to put my photos in folders (or what I would call albums) and title the pics. I have no interest in seeing them in Moments, Collections, Years, Last Import, All photos, Faces or Photo Stream. These I find confusing.. If I have photos on a SD card and I put it into the Mac I would like to see a list of my 'albums' and choose which one the photos should go into. And then view the photos with their titles showing. it does not seem much to ask!

Appreciate any comments.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Mid 2014), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 1, 2015 9:59 AM

15 replies

May 2, 2015 12:48 AM in response to John Galt

Hi John

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i could do this (and have done it previously) but its quite laborious. And you cannot see the titles on the pics. The photos still have to be imported to Last Import and then transferred. When I worked with PCs there were plenty of apps that made importing so very simple so i was hoping something like them existed in the Mac world. I did also try only storing the pics in Finder/Pictures but there is no viewer there so it does not really work.

Kind regards

onepangolin

May 2, 2015 1:17 AM in response to onepangolin

Not sure if this software, suggested by another ASC contributor, may be of use to you...

•Lyn - Lightweight Image Browser & Viewer:

http://www.lynapp.com/

Since I've not tried it, for the most part having nearly given up on digital photography, my

first choice for several vintage OS X versions has been free ToyViewer image editor. As

iPhoto seemed to controlling and bossy, I've never really used it for more than 5 minutes

in any version of OS X.

•ToyViewer - Mac App Store: (free app)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/toyviewer/id414298354?mt=12

{I have earlier versions direct from Maker's site. Now there is only an App from App Store

where it still is free, but I have not compared the earlier ToyViewer to this later one in use.

And not imported a single image into my latest 'new-old-stock' Late 2012 QuadCore Mini.

At least it gives me a choice to upgrade RAM, hard drives or SSDs, & hold off on 10.10.x}

So perhaps these may give you a different perspective on image editing options; ToyViewer

is capable and there are some shortcuts once you figure out the easier ways of using it.

An image editor I'd tried, a shareware product (named 'graphic' converter or ? something)

was fairly good but may not be available for OS X, and almost photoshop in features...

If you do try Lyn, perhaps you could mention if it worked out OK. Since I manually control

and move my images from the camera into a folder, (by date) and do not import them, I

suspect the Image Capture may do OK for some. I do minor rotation & re-size corrections

and save them in different folders, then archive copies to external hard drives & USB Flash.

Also, I save the camera card when full, as a primary archival storage. My digitals are antique

but the optics are rather good... some can be traded off to vintage film bodies.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 2, 2015 12:12 PM in response to onepangolin

There are a few things you can do with Preview and Finder, however the default image from

screen shot in Finder isn't .jpeg; though that is possible to change the default away from .png.

Preview can be used several ways, however from older OS X versions the feature set changed

and sometimes I don't use the newer computer to handle images even for temporary email items

since the effect just isn't there and for very simple things, third-party software shouldn't be needed.

Appears there are fewer quality purposeful applications included in the most recent OS X, so

one has to look into Apps online; and these are subject to change, when they do, so will your

resulting archived images once they go through a transformation process in a newer app.

However, Preview can be used to look at the contents of a folder, edit some aspects of those,

and then you can test to see if the changed or edited features stick, once emailed, etc. This

is where I'd started using ToyViewer, as it did not create propriety file types and did not need

to be launched to see an image processed by it. And the effects of an edit, stayed put.

You can also select everything in a folder, with Preview and show them together in one window.

Saved changes may be moved to another folder, on the desktop, or managed OK between the

Preview application and actions on items, as provided by Finder.

{Even the windowing effects on desktop + finder aren't as good in Mavericks 10.9 as they were

back in 10.5.8. Many items that were tolerable and stable in Snow Leopard, a good system,

have been changed, too. The size of an open window has been restricted, among other items.}

Hopefully you can find a suitable software or a process using fairly good alternatives

to some costly bloatware you may not need, to proceed in your image projects.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

SIMPLE photo organiser and viewer required

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.