Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What are the users in mac HD "system" "wheel" and "everybody" and what does their privileges entail?

Hi,

I was looking at the Info on my Mac HD hard drive (OS X Yosemite Ver. 10.10.3), and I see that there are three users listed here; system, wheel, and everyone. I only have one user on my machine so I disabled everyone so that it had no access but just before I exited I saw a message that said "You have no access" directly below the Sharing & Permissions title, so I emediatly changed it back to read only.

So my questions are: what are the three users, why do I need them, what do they do for me, and what permissions should they have to keep my machine the most secure?

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:02 AM

8 replies

May 2, 2016 10:36 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc,

If these permission are normal, and I paid to buy this computer that I now own. I would like to know what these permissions are in detail. I can't seem to find much through my research efforts, but am very curious. My El Capitan operating system seems to be very buggy these days. Thanks a bunch for your help level 10!

May 1, 2015 11:40 AM in response to deven09

It's not much to look at but these three entities; system, wheel, and everyone, are all givin some permissions to my hard drive by default and I am just trying to find out why. I have looked at countless forums that describe problems people have with deleting some of these but I havnt found their purpose... yet.

What are the users in mac HD "system" "wheel" and "everybody" and what does their privileges entail?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.