Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switch Users Option on Lock Screen

I am at a community college setting up new macs for a lab. When someone doesn't log out and let the computer lock up, there is no option to switch users. The computer has to be turned off for someone else to log in. The older macs we replaced showed this option. I just want to know how to get it on the lock screen.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 9:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 25, 2015 12:40 PM

Hello there

I had the "no Switch User icon at the lock screen" problem too after upgrading to Yosemite on the Macs joined to our Active Directory domain. All the users ever logged in on the Macs are domain users which don't appear in Users & Groups. I presume the Yosemite Mac thinks there is only one user configured and therefore has no need to show the Switch User icon when the screen is locked.

I fixed my problem by adding a local, non-domain user to the Mac called DummyUser so that there is more than one account showing in Users & Groups. Now when I try to leave the screen saver I have the Switch User icon once more.

Worth a try?

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 25, 2015 12:40 PM in response to jerm_cub_fan

Hello there

I had the "no Switch User icon at the lock screen" problem too after upgrading to Yosemite on the Macs joined to our Active Directory domain. All the users ever logged in on the Macs are domain users which don't appear in Users & Groups. I presume the Yosemite Mac thinks there is only one user configured and therefore has no need to show the Switch User icon when the screen is locked.

I fixed my problem by adding a local, non-domain user to the Mac called DummyUser so that there is more than one account showing in Users & Groups. Now when I try to leave the screen saver I have the Switch User icon once more.

Worth a try?

Switch Users Option on Lock Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.