Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my iMac recently become very slow?

Hi,

Below is the check done with EtreCheck. Could someone who understands all this jargon please have a look and tell me what you think the problem is?

Thanks,

Marc

Problem description:

iMac is running very slowly

EtreCheck version: 2.2 (132)

Report generated 5/1/15, 7:00 PM

Download EtreCheck from http://etresoft.com/etrecheck

Click the [Click for support] links for help with non-Apple products.

Click the [Click for details] links for more information about that line.

Hardware Information: ℹ️

iMac (20-inch, Mid 2007) (Verified)

iMac - model: iMac7,1

1 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo CPU: 2-core

4 GB RAM Upgradeable

BANK 0/DIMM0

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

BANK 1/DIMM1

2 GB DDR2 SDRAM 667 MHz ok

Bluetooth: Old - Handoff/Airdrop2 not supported

Wireless: en1: 802.11 a/b/g/n

Video Information: ℹ️

ATI,RadeonHD2600 - VRAM: 256 MB

iMac 1680 x 1050

System Software: ℹ️

OS X 10.10.3 (14D136) - Time since boot: 2:13:55

Disk Information: ℹ️

ST3750640AS Q disk0 : (750.16 GB)

EFI (disk0s1) <not mounted> : 210 MB

The Toone Project! (disk0s2) / : 749.30 GB (170.35 GB free)

Recovery HD (disk0s3) <not mounted> [Recovery]: 650 MB

USB Information: ℹ️

Apple Inc. Built-in iSight

Apple, Inc. Keyboard Hub

Primax Electronics Apple Optical USB Mouse

Apple, Inc Apple Keyboard

Canon MP610 series

Apple Computer, Inc. IR Receiver

Apple Inc. Bluetooth USB Host Controller

FREETALK Wireless Everyman FREETALK Wireless Everyman

Configuration files: ℹ️

/etc/sysctl.conf - Exists

Gatekeeper: ℹ️

Mac App Store and identified developers

Kernel Extensions: ℹ️

/Applications/Elgato Video Capture.app

[not loaded] com.elgato.driver.Pluto2 (1.1) [Click for support]

/System/Library/Extensions

[loaded] com.Cycling74.driver.Soundflower (1.6.6 - SDK 10.6) [Click for support]

[not loaded] com.satmap.driver.Satmap (1.0.0d2 - SDK 10.7) [Click for support]

Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.google.keystone.agent.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Java-Updater.plist [Click for support]

Launch Daemons: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.fpsaud.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.google.keystone.daemon.plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.oracle.java.Helper-Tool.plist [Click for support]

User Launch Agents: ℹ️

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[loaded] com.adobe.ARM.[...].plist [Click for support]

[failed] com.facebook.videochat.[redacted].plist [Click for support]

User Login Items: ℹ️

iTunesHelper UNKNOWN (missing value)

SpeechSynthesisServer Application (/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks /SpeechSynthesis.framework/Versions/A/SpeechSynthesisServer.app)

Google Drive Application (/Applications/Google Drive.app)

Google Chrome Application (/Google Chrome.app)

RealPlayer Downloader Agent Application (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/RealNetworks/RealPlayer Downloader Agent.app)

Android File Transfer Agent Application (/Users/[redacted]/Library/Application Support/Google/Android File Transfer/Android File Transfer Agent.app)

Internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

Mozillaplug: Version: 1.0

o1dbrowserplugin: Version: 5.41.0.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

Google Earth Web Plug-in: Version: 6.1 [Click for support]

Default Browser: Version: 600 - SDK 10.10

Flip4Mac WMV Plugin: Version: 2.4.0.11 [Click for support]

CoolirisWebKitPlugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

AdobePDFViewerNPAPI: Version: 11.0.10 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

FlashPlayer-10.6: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Silverlight: Version: 5.1.30514.0 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

Flash Player: Version: 17.0.0.169 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

iPhotoPhotocast: Version: 7.0

googletalkbrowserplugin: Version: 5.41.0.0 - SDK 10.8 [Click for support]

QuickTime Plugin: Version: 7.7.3

AdobePDFViewer: Version: 11.0.10 - SDK 10.6 [Click for support]

JavaAppletPlugin: Version: Java 8 Update 45 Check version

User internet Plug-ins: ℹ️

WebEx64: Version: 1.0 - SDK 10.5 [Click for support]

BrowserPlus_2.9.8: Version: 2.9.8 [Click for support]

CitrixOnlineWebDeploymentPlugin: Version: 1.0.105 [Click for support]

RealPlayer Plugin: Version: Unknown [Click for support]

Safari Extensions: ℹ️

AdBlock

Blur

VimeoEmbiggener

YoutubeWide

TED HTML5 video playe

Turn Off the Lights

3rd Party Preference Panes: ℹ️

BrowserPlus [Click for support]

Cepstral Voices

Flash Player [Click for support]

Flip4Mac WMV [Click for support]

Growl [Click for support]

Java [Click for support]

Perian [Click for support]

Time Machine: ℹ️

Skip System Files: NO

Mobile backups: OFF

Auto backup: YES

Volumes being backed up:

The Toone Project!: Disk size: 749.30 GB Disk used: 578.95 GB

Destinations:

The Toone HDD [Local]

Total size: 3.00 TB

Total number of backups: 74

Oldest backup: 2013-10-16 07:49:12 +0000

Last backup: 2014-12-22 10:11:47 +0000

Size of backup disk: Excellent

Backup size 3.00 TB > (Disk size 749.30 GB X 3)

Top Processes by CPU: ℹ️

124% Photos

9% mdworker(12)

7% photolibraryd

4% WindowServer

3% mds

Top Processes by Memory: ℹ️

496 MB Photos

426 MB kernel_task

356 MB Google Chrome Helper(5)

213 MB mdworker(12)

184 MB Google Chrome

Virtual Memory Information: ℹ️

87 MB Free RAM

3.91 GB Used RAM

0 B Swap Used

Diagnostics Information: ℹ️

May 1, 2015, 04:42:08 PM Self test - passed

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:20 AM

10 replies

May 1, 2015 10:30 AM in response to oasisboy

I don't see any obvious issues however your machine is quite old and may have a hardware issue. I would recommend locating Disc #2 of the original DVDs that shipped with the computer and use Using Apple Hardware Test - Apple Support. Run AHD in EXTENDED MODE 2-3 times back to back. The reason for running it multiple times is AHT does not always find errors after the first or second pass. However when errors are found they are correct. If you cannot find the discs then contact AppleCare and if they are available you can get them replaced for a nominal cost.

If you don't want to do this then take the machine to an Apple Authorized Service Provider (an Apple Store will not work on it due to its age) and they can do a professional diagnostic. You can begin finding an AASP in your area by clicking https://locate.apple.com/country

May 5, 2015 12:34 AM in response to oasisboy

The Photos application is very active. Have you enabled the iCloud Photo Library? That could be slowing down things as it uploads all of your library to the cloud. How long has it been since you first started Photos?

A couple of items that are know to slow down Macs are Google's Chrome and Drive. Only launch Google Drive when you need to upload to it. As for Chrome I'd get rid of it and use either Safari or Firefox. Both are more efficient that Chrome.

User uploaded file

May 1, 2015 5:15 PM in response to oasisboy

When you see a beachball cursor or the slowness is especially bad, note the exact time: hour, minute, second.

These instructions must be carried out as an administrator. If you have only one user account, you are the administrator.

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Each message in the log begins with the date and time when it was entered. Scroll back to the time you noted above.

Select the messages entered from then until the end of the episode, or until they start to repeat, whichever comes first.

Copy the messages to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of it useless for solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 5, 2015 12:46 AM in response to Old Toad

Hello Old Toad,

Thanks for your advice. I've deleted Chrome and the speed has increased to an acceptable level. I have 15GB of photos which would mean paying to store them in the Cloud which obviously I don't want to do.

If you have any other suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them. If not, thanks for taking the time to help me 🙂

Marc

May 5, 2015 1:21 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Hi rkaufmann87,

Thanks for taking the time to read my post. I've printed off the instructions for the Apple Hardware test but can't get pass first base! The instructions say

1. Shut down your computer. Then, press the power button to turn it back on. Done
  2. Press and hold the D key before the gray startup screen appears. Done
  3. It takes a minute or so for AHT to start up and inspect your hardware configuration. While this is taking place, an icon appears on the screen:

I hold down the D key for about a minute (the instructions give no indication how long you should do this for) but the computer loads as normal then just goes to the log in page. I've tried it both with and without the OS X Instal Disc 2 but it makes no difference. When I try to open the disc I get this message :

You can’t open the application “Installing Mac OS X and Applications” because PowerPC applications are no longer supported.

Incidentally, the instructions from Apple say :

Using Apple Hardware Test on computers with OS X v10.7 and earlier

AHT is located on the Applications Install Disc 2 and should be included with your computer or the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive on a MacBook Air (Late 2010). To start AHT on these computers make sure the Applications Install Disc 2 is inserted into the built-in optical drive, external Apple Superdrive, or for the MacBook Air (Late 2010) be sure the MacBook Air Software Reinstall Drive is inserted into a USB port. Then, follow steps 1-6 outlined in the previous section of this article.

Is my computer regarded as pre OS X v10.7? It's from 2007 but it's got the latest software 10.10.3.

Hoping you can find the time to answer these questions.

Thanks,

Marc

May 5, 2015 9:42 AM in response to oasisboy

If you have any other suggestions I'd be delighted to hear them.

Suggestions regarding what exactly? If it's about backing up your photos you have Time Machine enabled and that does a good job. You might get an external HD with FW 800 capability and clone your boot drive to it and then update the clone maybe once a week or month. If you experience an crash of your boot drive you can boot from the EDH clone and continue running until you get the crash fixed.

May 5, 2015 3:16 PM in response to Old Toad

I've got Time Machine (3TB Caldigit external hard drive) but I don't know how to put all my photos on. Do you think you could explain it?

Sorry to say that I don't understand this part -

You might get an external HD with FW 800 capability and clone your boot drive to it and then update the clone maybe once a week or month. If you experience an crash of your boot drive you can boot from the EDH clone and continue running until you get the crash fixed.

Thanks

May 5, 2015 3:34 PM in response to oasisboy

Purchase an external connected and Mac formatted Flash drive OR externally connected USB, Thunderbolt or FireWire 800, Mac formatted hard drive. Then, purchase, install and use a data cloning app, like CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper, to make an exact and bootable copy (clone) of your Mac's entire computer system and data.

Typically, iTunes and iPhoto libraries are the biggest users of HD space.

move these files/data off of your internal drive to the external hard drive and deleted off of the internal hard drive.

If you have any other large folders of personal data or projects, these should be archived or moved, also, to the optical discs, flash drives or external hard drive and then either archived to disc and/or deleted off your internal hard drive.

Moving iTunes library

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

Moving iPhoto/Photos library

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH2506

Moving iMovie projects folder

http://support.apple.com/kb/ph2289

Things to consider before moving your iPhoto/Photos Library Folder to a new or external location like an external hard drive.

If you make movies on any iDevices using iMovie for iOS,, then transfer the video footage, the IOS version of iMovie saves the footage as a movie file in IPhoto for IOS and will automatically get transferred to iPhoto for the Mac when you upload the video from your iDevice.

Newer versions of iMovie will work and link those video files found in your iPhoto Library on your Mac, but those links can be lost if you move your iPhoto library and you will not be able to relink that video afterwards as the current versions of iMovie seem to not have a relink option for the video portion of the files (ironically, current versions of iMovie HAVE the ability to re-link the audio files from the video footage, though (The inability to re-link the video files could be a possible bug or oversight in current versions iMovie).

The lost video links show up as "blacked-out" video blocks with no content.

Before moving the iPhoto/Photos Library

If you make movies with iMovie using iPad or iPhone video then 'Consolidate' the files before you finish. This will gather (albeit by duplicating) all the relevant files in the project in one place. After consolidating/duplicating all of the audio and video footage to a seperate, independent location,it should be safe to move your iPhoto library.

The potential way to circumvent this issues maybe to try and import iPad and iPhoto video directly into iMovie which would be another solution.

Good Luck!

Why has my iMac recently become very slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.