Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Airport Extreme going bad. "Network changes" occur and the only way to resolve it is to reboot the Airport create a new network and that still takes several tries. It's getting very

Is my Airport Extreme going bad. "Network changes" occur and the only way to resolve it is to reboot the Airport create a new network and that still takes several tries.

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 3:34 PM

What model number of AirPort Extreme? How old is the device?

3 replies

May 2, 2015 10:08 AM in response to thumper3557

Unfortunately, five years, on average, is about it as far as the useful life of a router designed for home use. It is the internal power supply that starts heading downhill, and when this happens, connection breaks start to occur more and more frequently

You could try replacing the external power supply.....about $30-35 or so......check online for prices, but I doubt that this will help.

As a last resort, try a complete Factory Default Reset on the AirPort to completely clear out all the old, and possibly conflicting settings. To do this......

Power off the AirPort for a few minutes

Hold in the reset button on the back of the AirPort first, and continue to hold it in for an additional 7-8 seconds while you simultaneously plug the power back into the AirPort

Release the reset button after the hold period

Allow a full minute for the AirPort to restart to a slow, blinking amber light status

Set up the AirPort again and see how it behaves. If things seem to be better, you have bought a bit more time. If the AirPort continues to act up, it is time for a replacement.

Is my Airport Extreme going bad. "Network changes" occur and the only way to resolve it is to reboot the Airport create a new network and that still takes several tries. It's getting very

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.