Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to tell if mobile apps are true duplicates

I have a lot of mobile apps and an iPad and iPhone, and I want to clean out the old duplicate apps but am concerned that by removing one it will really only remove it from one of the devices; this is not the issue of the duplicate app which is numbered .1, .2 etc. after the name and version number = this is the 'same' app which has a different version - and I don't know which is the iPad one or the iPhone one, so don't know if I can remove it - for instance, I have
"Wash Post 3.0.4.ipa" and "Wash Post 2.7.1.ipa" -- the name is the same, but the number is different. Would I be safe removing the lower numbered app? I don't know why the numbers are that different, either.

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:50 AM

Those two Washington Post apps appear to be two separate apps, the number are the version numbers of the apps - 'The Washington Post For iPad' app is on version 3.0.4, and there is 'Wash Post' app (designed for iPhones/iPod Touch sized screens) which is on version 2.7.1

For other apps you will probably need to check to see if they have different iPhone and iPad apps, and if so what their current version numbers are

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 11:50 AM in response to Victoria Herring

Those two Washington Post apps appear to be two separate apps, the number are the version numbers of the apps - 'The Washington Post For iPad' app is on version 3.0.4, and there is 'Wash Post' app (designed for iPhones/iPod Touch sized screens) which is on version 2.7.1

For other apps you will probably need to check to see if they have different iPhone and iPad apps, and if so what their current version numbers are

How to tell if mobile apps are true duplicates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.