Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Garmin Dashcam .avi to FCP X?

I have video from a Garmin Dashcam 10 camera.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-road/533/garmin-dash-cam-10/prod152032.ht ml

It's a .avi clip shot at 1080p.

The Garmin Dash Cam Player is really useful only to watch the clips on my MacBook Pro.

I know there's a lot of info on the internet. I don't trust the suggestions, many of which involve downloading software. Does anybody know of a reliable way to convert the .avi file so that I can use the video in FCP X 10.2?

Posted on May 1, 2015 12:24 PM

12 replies

Nov 9, 2015 3:07 AM in response to cjd1234

Just import the .avi clips straight into FCP X.

It may warn that it is a non-standard format, so select "Custom".

It will probably show an orange "Render" bar but it will play and edit perfectly well even without rendering.

I don't know about the Garmin but many dash-cams produce fake HD.

Their native resolution is something like 720 x 480 or 640 x 480 but they upscale it to 720p or even 1080p which looks appalling . . . I shoot mine at the native resolution, which though poor, is not as bad as the terrible artefact-ridden upscaled clips.

Nov 9, 2015 6:12 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Thanks for your answers but FCP X don´t like this clips

http://i.imgur.com/sU40vqK.png

I want to import all the clips but says me that "There isn´t valid export clips"

At the momento, I ´m using Total Video Converter for make .mov clips my DashCam clips

But I don´t understand why FCP X don´t work with this .avi files 😟

Ah Sorry for my english, I ´m not English-speaking.

Nov 9, 2015 6:31 AM in response to ElLarguirucho

DOS formatted card, which most cameras use, have a file size limit. If the file is other a certain size, a certain length, the file will automatically split. FCP can reconcile this and reconstitute the file in other formats. It can't do with with AVI because of the way the format is structured. Doesn't have a problem with QuickTime or MPEG or MXF or other formats. I think that might be the cause of the problem.

Garmin Dashcam .avi to FCP X?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.