Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Air Mid 2013 FaceTime HD camera fail

Hi. I installed yosemite from scratch and my FaceTime HD camera does't work. The led blinks but I have no image.

I tried Skype, FaceTime and Photo Booth. I also tried to install windows 8.1 and the camera doesn't work either.

I Already reset the MSC and EFI but the result is the same. Previously the camera was working fine.

In system report the camera is detected in the camera tab:

Model ID : Apple Camera VendorID_0x106B ProductID_0x1570

Unique ID: DJ**********CC6

but in the USB tab doesn't show nothing about any camera.

Any ideas?

Thank you.

<Edited by Host>

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Mid 2013

Posted on May 1, 2015 12:07 PM

7 replies

May 2, 2015 10:34 AM in response to mjbentoc

mjbentoc wrote:... Any ideas?...

With all you have tried, if neither restarting your Mac nor reinstalling OS Xcorrects your problem, one of the suggestions in How to Troubleshoot iSight will get your camera working.

(Over time, Apple has changed the built-in camera's name on newer Macs from "iSight" to "FaceTime" and then to "FaceTime HD." Regardless of the name of your Mac's built-in camera, the same info and troubleshooting applies.)

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

May 3, 2015 10:14 AM in response to mjbentoc

You're welcome.

mjbentoc wrote: ... what I don't understand is how a installation of a new OS damages the camera...

I don't think it does. You seems more likely to me to be experiencing a conflict related to interaction(s) with one or more third-party software items you have installed.

Some such conflicts can be impossible for us users to find. You do not specifically mention having also tried other web-offered Mavericks/Yosemite suggestions such as attempting to terminate the "VDCAssistant" process or uninstalling AirParrot or AirPlay display mirroring software. However, having tried all the other things already suggested here, I expect you are an experienced user who has diligently tried all reasonably possible remedies. You may even have securely erased your startup disk, reinstalled the latest Mac OS, added and updated necessary third-party software one-item-at-a-time from their original media sources, and thoroughly tested your camera with each individual addition before adding subsequent third-party items.

If you have not tried everything that might offer a solution, or if your problem remains after you have already performed the clean install of all software described above, it may be easier and quicker for you to simply backup your Mac and "... contact Apple or an Apple-Authorized Service Provider for service." per the final "Troubleshooting" suggestion.

Apple approved technicians have access to necessary technical data, parts, special tools, and test equipment to most efficiently troubleshoot and correct even esoteric problems.

Message was edited by: EZ Jim

Mac OSX 10.10.3

May 3, 2015 12:07 PM in response to EZ Jim

I've tried to Kill the VDCAssistant process with no success.
I've tried today to install from scratch Mountain Lion, the Native OS of my MBA, and without installing anything else, the result was the same.
Tried Photo Booth and FaceTime and I had again the blinking camera led 😟

I have to try to call Apple to try to solve this problem.

Thank you

Macbook Air Mid 2013 FaceTime HD camera fail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.