Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Screen Recorder Movie Won't Import to iMove

I recorded a Skype interview using Quicktime Screen Recorder and want to import it into iMovie for some quick edits before posting online. However, iMovie says it doesn't support the movie. I've tried exporting it via Quicktime to iTunes and other iPad & Apple TV formats but the import process still isn't working. What am I missing? iMovie used to be able to do this in Snow Leopard, but now that I'm all up to date with the newest iMovie and Yosemite OS I can't do it anymore? Please help!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:23 AM

8 replies

May 2, 2015 6:41 PM in response to filmsgeek

Kind: QuitTime movie

Size: 3.15 GB on disk

Where: Desktop

Dimensions: 2880 x 1800

Codecs: H.264, AAC

Color profile: HD (1-1-1)

Duration: 22:31

Audio channels: 2

Encoding software: Mac OS X 10.10.3 (14D131)

What is the profile, level, fps, video data rate, and chroma subsampling? I don't normally play around wt multi-K resolutions, so I had to upscale a 2.5K file to your custom 1.60:1 2880x1800 dimensions. It ended up as a Main Profile @ L5.2 with VRF excursion of 4.0-60.0 fps for a 27.07 fps average screen capture and data rate I estimate to be only about 67% or yours but the file loaded normally to both iMovie v9.0.9 and v10.0.8 without problem. Just want to see how your file specs agree with MPEG-4 AVC standards. If encode looks normal and file opens/plays normally in both QT and third-party players but remains incompatible with iMovie, my best guess would likely be a corrupted file in the iMovie app package. If file has a problem with multiple QT apps but not third-party apps, then the problem might be a in the MOV file container.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 6:00 AM in response to filmsgeek

I wish I knew how to tell you that. Where would I see that info?

I use the older v0.7.50 version of MediaInfo. E.g., here are the specs for the 1880x1800 upscaled video clip I made:

User uploaded file

And these are the specs for the original screen recording before upscaling:

User uploaded file

Unfortunately, I had to use QT 7 Pro to upscale which adds an additional layer codec settings. Would normally prefer to examine a sample problem file itself and test it on my own system in a known environment. Am basically trying to determine if there is anything obviously suspect about your file or whether it is more likely that your iMovie install is bad. For instance, you said that such movies imported correctly under Snow Leopard but did not indicate if the problem file will import to the older system or will import under Yosemite on a different platform if either/both options are available to you.

User uploaded file

Quicktime Screen Recorder Movie Won't Import to iMove

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.