Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is the apple mini a full computer

I am considering the apple mini because I could use my key board and mouse and existing display on my MacBook and save myself $500. Would that work and what would be the problems

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.7)

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:20 AM

9 replies

May 1, 2015 1:01 PM in response to armweber

We don't know how you use your computer so we cannot guess what problems you might have. You will need an actual display, your Macbook won't work for displaying from a Mac Mini.

The Mac Mini could be called a 'full computer' but so is a Raspberry Pi (it really depends on how you want to define it).

A Mac Mini is just as capable as any other Mac, but they have lower performance & less upgradability require additional hardware. It could be fine so long as you have the extra items to dedicate to the Mini (keyboard, mouse & display).

May 1, 2015 1:32 PM in response to armweber

Screen recycler will leave you dealing with the slow performance of the Macbook plus the slow speed of screen sharing. I'm afraid you will need to purchase a screen, keyboard & a display to use a Mini as a desktop computer, you will not be able to do any basic troubleshooting without these items too.

Bear in mind that the Mini has 'soldered on RAM', that cannot be upgraded after purchase, so you will need to ensure you have enough for future use. It may reach the same price of an iMac or Macbook Air by the time you account for the extras.

If you are budget constrained look at the refurb models…

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Sometimes it can be a better deal.

Is the apple mini a full computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.