Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCP7: How do I save 5 small separate Scenes, saved by project, to only one final project?

Specs: FCP7 Software

MCH70 Panasonic Camera

Using a college, Media Lab, Desktop Mac.

I captured files but had some trouble at first.

Then I saved each Scene (in my short 5 minute total project) as separate projects.

I have edited them and they all have separate sequences in each saved project.

Now I want to put them altogether and make one Master Project (so I can see if I exceeded my 5 minute project restriction).

I tried importing them but no luck. Then I copied all the sequences into one New Project, or maybe they just moved, not sure.

Don't know if that was the right thing to do or what the next step is. I am worried about damaging my already edited files.

I heard ultimately in other forums that I might be able to copy the individual clips into one folder and then import them into a new project?

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 6, 2015 12:56 AM

You have each "scene" edited as a separate project?

This is not a useful way to work.

To combine all the sequences into one ("Master" or "Show") project:

Create a new project with matching project settings to all your previous work. Give this project a unique name and save it.

Now go to the menu File > Open and navigate to and open your "scene" project(s). Repeat until all are open.

You will see they appear as tabs in the FCP Browser:

User uploaded file

Once all the projects are open, you can go to the timeline of (for example) the first scene, click anywhere in the timeline and then select all (Command + A), and then copy the contents of that timeline (Command + C). Switch to the timeline of your new project and paste it there (Command + V). Once done, make sure the playhead on that new timeline is at the end of the pasted content, then do the same with the next scene. Repeat as necessary, until you have all the content in one timeline. and then check your total duration.

Save everything.

MtD

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 6, 2015 12:56 AM in response to cday91909

You have each "scene" edited as a separate project?

This is not a useful way to work.

To combine all the sequences into one ("Master" or "Show") project:

Create a new project with matching project settings to all your previous work. Give this project a unique name and save it.

Now go to the menu File > Open and navigate to and open your "scene" project(s). Repeat until all are open.

You will see they appear as tabs in the FCP Browser:

User uploaded file

Once all the projects are open, you can go to the timeline of (for example) the first scene, click anywhere in the timeline and then select all (Command + A), and then copy the contents of that timeline (Command + C). Switch to the timeline of your new project and paste it there (Command + V). Once done, make sure the playhead on that new timeline is at the end of the pasted content, then do the same with the next scene. Repeat as necessary, until you have all the content in one timeline. and then check your total duration.

Save everything.

MtD

May 6, 2015 1:03 AM in response to Michael Grenadier

Thanks so much. I had a general idea of how to do it. Then I had 25 clips to edit before I could merge all so it took some time. I was finally able to snag some of my instructor's time and rather than explain it to me, he just did it for me. He had done that in the past so I was worried because at one point FCP could not find some of the clips. But it's worked out. He copied the data capture stuff and then saved that by scenes, because most of the clips had similar numbers. Then we renamed each clip after reviewing it categorically and told FCP to match it to the clip, so it could find it. Basically once all the clips were in one place, separated by scenes, it was much easier to edit, save, etc. My project is almost done but I now at least have a rough draft that has continuity of storyline in one FCP project. I am so happy. It's due May 12th.

FCP7: How do I save 5 small separate Scenes, saved by project, to only one final project?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.