Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have got a strange bluetooth problem: Sometimes it's 4.0 LE, sometimes not

Sorry for my bad english, I will try my best.

In our house there are my MacBook Pro Mid 2012 and an iMac early 2008. Both with the actual OS X. There are no problems with the iMac.

I have got problems with bluetooth since updating to yosemite on the MacBook, just like other people here. Nothing helped, no resetting, no deleting any DUN or PAN. I am using now may old usb-keyboard and a trackball mouse with usb cable. The other devices (external bluetooth keyboard from apple and the apple external trackpad) won't connect safely and constantly via bluetooth. The external bluetooth speakers had the same problem. Just every bluetooth thing, iphone 6 plus too.

I am looking for solutions, but nothing helped me. So I resigned.

Two days ago I wanted to install the app "near lock" on my iphone. This will unlock the MacBook pro, when I come near it. For this I had to install an app on the mac too, but the app said, that my Macbook aren't have Bluetooth LE - so the app won't installed.

After 24h later I've tried it again (don't know why...hmmm), and on that day I was able to install it. Everything fine. Suddenly the Macbook had Bluetooth LE.

Yeah strange enough. Today it happened again. I made two screenshots, from the same MacBook. Only minutes between the shots.

No Bluetooth LE.

User uploaded file

Surprise.

User uploaded file

I am no technical Pro, so I do not understand this.

There is a point to state: At the time of the first screenshot my macbook was closed and stood in the twelve book stand with an external monitor. The second screenshot was taken with an open MacBook using the internal keyboard.

Does this make any sense?

I would be happy for some help.

Thanks

Thomas

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 1:21 PM

3 replies

May 1, 2015 1:47 PM in response to tommdidomm

Couple of days ago, this also happened to me, I'm using MacID though. (attached is the dropdown menu for bluetooth on my mac). I'm using a MacBook as well, so obviously the chip is available, I visit to booting in safe mode and restarting solved the problem, hasn't happened again...yet. And, no, bluetooth is supposed to work in clamshell mode. Just so you(and everyone else) know, you're not the only one.

User uploaded file

May 10, 2015 4:50 AM in response to tommdidomm

Some days later, after trying some things: In fact there's no bluetooth LE in clamshell mode. When I work with MacBook open, as a second display, everything's fine - but when i close it: no bluetooth le and problems with the connections over bluetooth. And the strangest thing is, that the manufacturer, which is shown in the system pref, changes from time to time just like the used chip.

Sometimes it helped, when I use the manual from apple (following in german)So verwenden Sie Ihr Mac-Notebook in geschlossenem Zustand (geschlossenes Display) mit einem externen Monitor - Apple S…. So open it up, connect via bluetooth, close the book.

But when I restart or logout, the next time will be full of bluetooth problems.

I have got a strange bluetooth problem: Sometimes it's 4.0 LE, sometimes not

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.