Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Can I Transfer My Disk Image to An Identical Macbook Pro?

Hi there,

I'm attempting to make an exact copy of my primary Macbook Pro's Disk Image (we'll call it Computer A) and transfer it to a nearly identical Macbook Pro (Computer B) so that it may function as a backup on the road. I use my computer for musical performance and need to have a backup ready to go in the event of any show-stopping bugs. I need to be able to open Computer B in case my existing one fails.

I've already made a copy of Computer A's entire disk image using SuperDuper! and now need to know what steps I can take to overwrite the hard drive of Computer B with Computer A's disk image, thus making a perfect clone of Computer A.

On Computer A I am running Yosemite 10.10.1 on a 13-inch Mid 2010 Macbook Pro w/ a 2.66 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 8 gigs of 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM.

Computer B is a Macbook Pro (Mid 2009) currently running OSX 10.5.8 (as it's old owner fell behind on OS updates) w/ 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and 4GB of 1067 MHz DDR3 RAM.

Will the Migration Assistant be able to do what I'm expecting? Are there any potential pitfalls I should look out for? Is Macbook Pro the best community to pitch this question?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 1, 2015 2:29 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2015 1:35 PM in response to Rubber Biscuit

Hello Rubber Biscuit,

After reviewing your post, it sounds like you want to migrate data from the new computer to the old computer. The old computer is running 10.5.8. I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

Since the old computer is running 10.5.8 one thing you can do is manually migrate data to the old computer.

OS X: Manually migrating data from another Mac - Apple Support

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Migration Assistant in OS X Mavericks and Yosemite can transfer information from other computers that have OS X Snow Leopard v10.6.8 or later installed.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Have a nice day,

Mario

How Can I Transfer My Disk Image to An Identical Macbook Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.