Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set iWork applications to save files as packages by default

I know how to force a file format change on a file by file basis with the latest versions of the iWork applications, but how do I force the package format at the default? I have to switch between computers with different versions of the OS and the last version of iWorks available for Mavericks machines only reads package formats.

Thanks.

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:59 AM

4 replies

May 1, 2015 12:40 PM in response to LDMartin1959.me

Unfortunately, it will have to be a manual process to set Package format, as neither Pages v5.5.3 itself, or scripting definitions for Pages v5.5.3 make this a settable default condition, or feasible coding possibility. One might be able to use AppleScript GUI scripting, but this is time consuming to debug, and the next update to Pages could change some UI element and break the script.

May 2, 2015 10:41 AM in response to LDMartin1959.me

Pages versions since v5.5.1 on Yosemite have defaulted to the Single File Format type, and not the backwards compatible Package format that Pages v5.2.2 expects on Mavericks. The controls to change these document formats are:

File ▸ Advanced ▸ Change File Type ▸ {Single File, Package}, and need to be followed by a File ▸ Save.

I wrote an Automator Service to do this, and then somewhat embarassed, remembered that one can add a short cut in System Preferences to perform the Single File type to Package type conversion. The automator service will change and save the Package file type, and then float a notification dialog in from the right screen to let you know that the filename was converted. The following is simpler for most to implement.

System Preferences ▸ Keyboard : Shortcuts : App Shortcuts

1. Click the + button
    1. Application: Pages (yellow icon)
    2. Menu Title: Package
    3. Keyboard Shortcut: control+P (^P) Note: does not conflict with any other Pages v5 keyboard shortcut
  2. Click Add.
  3. Quit System Preferences

Now, back in Pages v5. When you have a default Single File Format document open, and you want a Package file format, simply do the following:

• Control+P (^P)
  • Command+S (save)

If you do not follow the two steps above, no Package file type will be created. The Save is key.

How do I set iWork applications to save files as packages by default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.