Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Health App keeps old dead watch devices around?

Iphone6 IOS 8.3 128GB, Apple Watch Milanese and Apple Watch White band.

In Apple Heath app, under sources, it says to use Apple Watch app to control Health data, but if you have ever paired your phone to an apple watch it shows up in the list of devices in the Health app. And I can't delete or rename it.

History : I first paired my phone to my wifes watch (hers came first) and now paired it to mine. I can't delete the original apple watch from the devices list in health. Any ideas on how to do that?

I tried changing the name of mine so they would appear different in the devices list, but they are both named the same "Bruce's Apple Watch" even though I changed the name of the apple watch in Apple Watch app, the name in health did not change.

So the questions or the bug:

How do I delete an apple watch from the list of sources in Health App

How do I change the name of apple watch in the list of sources in Health App

Apple Watch, Other OS

Posted on May 1, 2015 1:59 PM

16 replies

Dec 27, 2017 1:30 PM in response to Fofer

Thanks - but this has nothing to do with an old watch.

It is pulling in another "set" - Watch and iPhone - that are being used by another person on the same Apple ID - and then merging the data together on the Health App on each iPhone.

I should be able to exclude them from my iPhone - but can not.

Under iOS 10 this was not an issue. In fact, under the 'old' Health app I could simply check them off as not being a source - see here: Manage Health data from multiple sources on your iPhone, iPod touch, or Apple Watch - Apple Support

The new health app does not allow that - and deleting the data - deletes all data everywhere

Dec 27, 2017 11:35 AM in response to robnbill

This was fixed for me awhile back with an iOS update.

After months of being unable to, after updating (it might have been to iOS 11?) I was finally able to go into the Health app -> Sources tab -> selected the old Watch, and then scrolled down "Delete All Data from Apple Watch." This device then disappeared from the Sources list, and now I'm only seeing the one (new) Watch listed.

Dec 27, 2017 1:57 PM in response to robnbill

Then your specific issue has nothing to do with this old thread, which wasn't discussing two people with two devices each both sharing the same AppleID. This thread was discussing the inability to remove an older Watch from the Health app after a new Watch was installed to replace it.

iOS 10 and 11 introduced nuances that made it an even worse idea for multiple people to be sharing a single AppleID. Things like "call history," the designated "Me" card (the name Siri would refer to you by, by default,) as well as some Messages, in some instances, would get synced across devices in ways those sharing users could not control or disable. So, I am not surprised that you're experiencing problems with Health data doing the same, since you have multiple people sharing a single AppleID. But again, that's a separate issue from what this old thread is about. I got an alert that it had been revived, and I was simply replying to my own earlier post, that the situation we had been discussing, is now resolved.

In any case, I wish you luck in resolving your issue. The best I can advise, as someone experienced in such things, is that you set up each person's devices to have their own, separate AppleID's, for iCloud. To keep each person's data completely separate. If your original intention was to be able to share App Store and media purchases, you would still be able to do that by sharing the same iTunes Store password (which is a separate login setup from iCloud) or better yet, setting it up the way Apple intended, via Family Sharing. But sharing one AppleID for iCloud will continue to give you lots and lots of unsolvable problems. Good luck!

Dec 27, 2017 3:14 PM in response to Fofer

Thank you.

We have been running iPhones, Watches, iMacs, etc. under the same Apple ID since the first iPhone came out. No issues. If I recall correctly, Apple instituted Family Sharing for those people that had disparate Apple ID's but wanted to share iTunes, etc. We have one Apple ID - with multiple aliases with our individual names. It's been working well.

Up to a couple of days ago the older Series 2 and Series 3 were working fine. Then the Series 2 was replaced by a Series 3. And now - the co-mingled data. If I could have de-selected one of Health App device sources - it should have worked again.

Unfortunately the iOS 11 Health App changed from iOS 10 (as shown on Apple's web site - link above) to one that doesn't allow that.

I want to avoid a separate ID to keep data separate. IMO, there should be no need for that. One watch linked to one iPhone, the other watch to the other iPhone.

I just got off the phone with Apple. I explained we use the same Apple ID. The rep said that's not the issue. She checked our Watches - and she said we set the new one up from a backup - and that is true. We need to set it up again - but as new - and that will clear the issue.

That's what we are doing now - she'll call back tomorrow and confirm it's fixed prior to closing the case. I'll post a note here saying if it worked - or not!

We'll see - again - thanks for taking the time to respond.

Dec 27, 2017 3:18 PM in response to robnbill

Okay, so long as this thread is drifting...

What in the world, pray tell, is the *benefit* for multiple people (with multiple devices each) to be sharing a single AppleID for iCloud? I can't think of a single one. Yes, there is an argument to be made that sharing a single AppleID for the iTunes Store. But for iCloud, and all the data that it entails? Ouch. No way. Too much room for unexpected problems, especially in iOS 11.

Anyway, I wish you luck in the journey. Please do share what you discover and uncover.

Dec 28, 2017 3:59 PM in response to Fofer

My final update to this thread.

Like the Original Poster - I had the same need: "How do I delete an apple watch from the list of sources in Health App." I had multiple Watches - and iPhones. I needed to delete those so they would no longer be a source of data to the Health App. It was, I thought, creating duplicate data on each separate iPhone - each of wish has it's own Watch associated with it.

Apple tech support provided these solutions:

1. To stop co-mingling of data from the separate devices pairs (Watch+iPhone) - they recommended I do a clean install (specifically not to use the backup from the Series 2 watch it replaces) on one of the Series 3 watches. I did that, waited a day to ensure data was no longer co-mingled. It works - this is probably the only step I needed to execute.

2. To remove the old devices and ones not associated with a given iPhone - Apple walked me thru the new steps to get rid of them. What is on their web site does not reflect what is in the Health App under iOS 11.

NOW - drifting perhaps - regarding the use of a single Apple ID across multiple devices. It makes absolutely perfect sense for people whose lives are intertwined. It makes it easy to share documents, folders, photos, trips, calendars, HomeKIt Homes, SimpleControl, etc. You could do it with "family" sharing and "invites" - but for us it doesn't work. For those that have children - fine, let them have their own Apple ID and they can mind their own business.

YMMV

Interesting solution. I feared we would have to get separate ID's.

May 20, 2015 6:00 PM in response to Bruce Buckland

I'm having the same problem. I have two watches listed under Heath app's "Sources" -> "Devices" list. Both are called "Joshua's Apple Watch." One reports "Go to the Apple Watch app to change health data settings for this Apple Watch" and the other reports "This Apple Watch is no longer paired with this iPhone."

How do I REMOVE that second one entirely?

Any solution appreciated!

Health App keeps old dead watch devices around?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.