Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

what is the maximum number of rows in version 3.5.3

I am using Numbers v3.5.3 in Yosemite.

I need to copy/paste from a .txt file 1,085,300 lines of information.

Numbers will only accept !65,000 lines.

Is there a limit by default? Can that be extended?

Thank you.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 1, 2015 3:59 PM

7 replies

May 3, 2015 9:53 AM in response to Wayne Contello

Hi Wayne - you have been very helpful; thank you.

I work at a film / tv post production facility. We use Outlook365 and the Sharepoint feature to share Word Docs and Excel Spreadsheets virtually. I use the Excel functionality in Sharepoint so that we can track media we copy to our StorNext SAN volumes as well as the multiple LTFS and Tar Per Shot LTO5s we write for both our clients and as internal data backups. Managing the media is beyond critical as TV and Feature studios require the utmost care of their OCF (original camera footage) and dailies / editorial media.

Of the many toolsets we use to edit and color shows and feature films is the AutoDesk platform (think Flame, Inferno, Smoke). The application toolset writes over 20TBs of data to our SAN volumes and the way it writes the data is unique to the application. If you tried to look at via a Mac Finder or Windows Explorer, the hex values in the filenames would not make sense. We cannot associate those hex names with actual human readable project names.

One of my engineers used the AutoDesk app to spit out a 1 million line plus text file with human readable names of every project, file type and file path.

What I am trying to do is suck all of that data into a spreadsheet that I can upload to Sharepoint (or paste directly into Sharepoint). When I try to copy/paste on my Mac Mini directly into a Sharepoint page, both Safari and Firefox go into a spinning beach ball of death. Time stops; photons of light are bent towards the event horizon; you get the picture.

Since Numbers won't accept more than 65,000 lines, I need a way to get that data into a spreadsheet.

I have downloaded LibreOffice and will give that a try.

Knowing what you do now, might you have any other suggestions?

Thank you again.

Scott

May 3, 2015 11:55 AM in response to scottettin

scott,

having the data in an excel file may be possible but I am having a hard time understanding what you want to do once you have the data in an excel file. Sharepoint can take any file type.

So are you certain you must convert the data to excel?

Does the original data change often? This informs us to the type of solution. If this is a one-time even we might suggest one type of solution. If this is repeated daily, weekly, or even monthly there may be another option.

How has this been done in the past?

Since excel can open a CSV file why jump through hoops to convert the data to xlsx?

what is the maximum number of rows in version 3.5.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.