Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Logic Pro X AU completely disappeared!

Hello, I've had many plug ins on Logic Pro X - Waves v9, Kontakt 5 etc - all was working fine.

Few days ago - the AU just disappeared from the drop down menu. They still appeared in the AU manager - with "successfully validated" by them, but no where to be found on the drop down menu.

I've tried removing the Components, restarting and bringing the Components back - several times - nothing happened.

I still have the Apple AU in there - everything else is gone.....

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Posted on May 1, 2015 4:33 PM

9 replies

May 1, 2015 4:41 PM in response to MIWZ

Please post up a screenshot of the dropdown menu showing where the AU category is missing....

You may also wish to try the following...

To reset Logic's settings/preferences....

1. Quit Logic Pro
  2. In the Finder, choose Go to Folder from the Go menu.
  3. Type ~/Library/Preferences in the "Go to the folder" field.
  4. Press the Go button.
  5. Remove the "com.apple.logic10.plist" file from the Preferences folder. Note that if you've programmed any custom key commands, this will reset them to the defaults. You might want to export your custom key commands before performing this step.
  6. Remove the com.apple.logic.pro.cs file from the preferences folder. (Note this is the control surface settings file. You may need to set up your control surfaces again after deleting this)
  7. Restart the computer.

Note: If you cannot find any of the files listed. you did not follow the instructions exactly as written! 🙂

May 4, 2015 8:11 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

I've had issues with Apple ever since I started using their computers [really just because I had to use Logic, due to my work, otherwise I would have stayed away] - this time it was such a tiny stupid thing, but thats always the case - apparently when you drag a file from one folder to another, using Finder, it creates a "short-cut" to the file and doesn't copy it - like in PC - which caused the plugins to not be effective as the file itself wasn't in the right folder - only its short cut...

Thanks again for your time!

May 4, 2015 8:33 AM in response to MIWZ

In layman's terms... If the file needs permission/authentication to be copied or moved then it will create a shortcut because thats what is supposed to happen... so the original, which is not supposed to be moved, is left where it is meant to be.

This is so you don't accidentally delete, move from or create a file in a 'protected' area of your system....

Example: The system's Library section and it's files are 'protected'.... so you don't mess things up unintentionally...

Also, there is rarely a reason why you should move around files in the system's Library area... as doing so can again, mess things up.... and OS X is trying it's best to stop you making such a mistake, hence why it does what it does... You can for example, over ride that by using one of the two tips below but again, if it's a protected area then you will have to authenticate with your 'computer's password' before OS X allows you to complete the operation... again protecting you from making a mistake.

Two quick tips...

1) Use the right / control click menu and then Copy command to copy files...

2) Hold down the Command Key when dragging/dropping files or folders to move them... (Not copy but move)

OS X is different to older versions of Windows (though the newest versions seem to be implementing a similar system) in this regard.. but this is a good thing™ imho,in most cases.... as it prevents the common errors that plague windows users when they delete or move files from where they are supposed to be... and don't realize what they have done and why doing it, can and often does, cause issues later on. 🙂

It also, in the same basic sense, protects your OS X system areas from less than savory apps installing stuff they shouldn't be installing....

Cheers..

Nigel

May 4, 2015 8:42 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks for the help Nigel - you are absolutely right - for my mom, who has no idea what she's doing in regards to computers - I would probably recommend buying Apple, as it is "easier and safer" to use, but if you do need a bit more flexibility - stay away from Apple.

I'm sorry if it comes out so hostile, but thats the truth... everything that is a bit "out of the norm" in Apple is sooooooo complicated and un-intuative that it drives me insane, its always a never ending struggle...

This forum is very helpful though and I really appreciate what you guys are doing - so thanks again!

May 4, 2015 8:54 AM in response to MIWZ

I do agree with you.. OS X seems to be a bit over protective at times....

But as i said, you can over ride the protections if you really want to do so... though there is rarely a valid reason to do so because in doing so, you will likely mess things up... unless you are fully aware of exactly what you are doing and it's consequences...

One of the most common issues brought up here.. is after people move or delete files without fully understanding the consequences of doing so... and then wondering why things stop working correctly....

Personally I'd rather OS X is as over protective as it is... (but with the ability to manually over ride such protections) than under protective because then we would likely see many more incidents of malware/viruses etc... and all the other such nightmares Windows users have to contend with... and that benefit is one of the main reasons why people switch to Macs from PCs... to get away from the myriad of issues caused by such problems

The thing with OS X is.. it's actually very uncomplicated once you let go of how things were done in Windows... You have just as much freedom... just in different ways.... and while "mother' tends to be looking over your shoulder all the time.. to stop you making errors, thats not always such a bad thing...

Like i said, thats a personal opinion... and other's may vary and quite rightly so! 🙂

Anyhow... Glad you got your problem resolved and I'm happy to hear I could help in some small way....

Cheers..

Nigel

Logic Pro X AU completely disappeared!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.