Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When plugged up to charge, Mac book pro shut down and will not boot now

Im using my computer for work...then all of the sudden I get a notification telling me my battery is low so I plug it in. Then a few minutes later, my mac goes black like it had died from a dead battery. I let it charge for a few minutes and come back to turn it back on and I cannot get it to boot. Nearly two hours later, I'm still sitting here. I need some help! Thank you!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on May 1, 2015 8:20 PM

9 replies

May 2, 2015 9:25 AM in response to gravy3232

i wasnt able to get any response from holding down the shift key alone so I tried Command + R. Afrer i ran the disk utility it said there was an error. "Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk and restore your backed up files." How do I back up my files from disk utility?

May 3, 2015 12:02 AM in response to djleming

Finally was able to get into Disk Utility mode. I run Verify Disk and tells me I need to repair Disk so I do so. It runs a few minutes then another window comes up telling me to back every thing up and the HD is unmounted. Im unable to get it mounted. Just find this ridiculous since I had to have the drive replaced a few months ago. It was supposed to be much better than what was in it. I can't afford to shell out another $300. Can anyone give me any ideas or things to try before I have to take it in to the mac store? I'd greatly appreciate it!

May 3, 2015 8:19 AM in response to djleming

I would replace the HDD with a new one and install the OSX. It is not rocket science to install a HDD and will be the cost of the HDD and perhaps two drivers, a #00 Plillips and a #6 Torx, not $300.

A representative sample of compatible HDDs can be found here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

After installing a new drive, you can see what you can download from the current HDD. (You will need an enclosure as well)

Ciao.

May 3, 2015 10:58 AM in response to djleming

You can attach a HDD to the MBP via USB and see what you can transfer to the external HDD.

If no success, there is data recovery software available on the Internet. They will offer a free trail to see if the software will work. If the indications are positive, they will charge you.

The last option is a professional data recovery service that will be very expensive and they will offer NO guarantee of success.

Ciao.

When plugged up to charge, Mac book pro shut down and will not boot now

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.