Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using airport extreme with apple tv

Hi, I am by no means an expert on these matters so, I thought I would put my question out there for the experts to comment on. I currently use 2 Apple TVs on my wifi network and am wondering if I connect the Apple TVs via ethernet cable to an airport extreme, would it improve the download and streaming of content to the Apple TVs?

Current system, iMac OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136), 3.1 GHz Intel Core i5, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, ADSL internet, network has good coverage throughout the area. Many thanks.

Apple TV (2nd generation)

Posted on May 1, 2015 6:50 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:26 PM

It can't improve upon the bandwidth delivered by your ISP, but what it will do is avoid the vagaries of wireless communication. Whenever practicable, use Ethernet. The AppleTV will automatically favor Ethernet over Wi-Fi.

3 replies

May 5, 2015 5:57 PM in response to Nay

Do you stream from the Internet or locally? for example, if you have a bunch of content on a computer with iTunes and home sharing enabled, then it will be better if the computer and Apple TV are on Ethernet.

I also recommend having devices like Apple TV, blu Ray, etc connected via Ethernet all the time anyway.

Using airport extreme with apple tv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.