Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Force touch not working on AppleWatch Sport.

Force touch is not responsive on my Apple Watch sport. I have tried restoring from backup, restore as new watch, unpairing. hard restart. Nothing works. Anyone else had this problem? It worked great out of the box, then quit working on day two. I live about 200 miles from the nearest Apple store so that's not really an option. Phone support couldn't offer any solution other than replace, but it would be at least a month before they could replace it.

Apple Watch, Other OS, Apple Watch Sport 42mm

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:19 PM

7 replies

May 5, 2015 3:44 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

I'm having a similar issue, so is my son on his watch. Force touch works everywhere, but when either of us pull up a contact we can call or imessage, but the middle option for force touch messages is a spinning wheel for about 30 seconds, then it disappears and is gone, no option to touch to send heartbeat, etc. I have tried to do a hard reset, same thing on my son's. That's 2 sports watches in a row (the only 2 I have seen) with the same problem.

Jul 6, 2015 3:50 PM in response to mrmrwilliams

Just had exactly the same problem with my iPhone 5 and my Apple Watch Sport. I could receive messages from my wife's watch with an iPhone 6 but not send replies. Took some tracking down but the reason is I had disabled iMessage on my iPhone which is required for this to work (not documented anywhere I can find) - re-enable it and it will work fine

Feb 10, 2016 3:13 PM in response to sammytex00

This happened on my 42 mm Sport. I couldn't activate force touch to change the watch face. Restart and reset had no effect. I was able to recover by swiping up to the Notifications screen and force touch / pressing firmly there. The screen seemed to vibrate or shimmy, and now force touch seems to be working as expected. Hope this helps.

Feb 14, 2016 3:05 AM in response to prolixly

Revising my previous response. Was at an Apple Store for something else and had a Genius look at this problem since it was recurring. They couldn't get Force Touch to respond either, even after a complete reset to factory settings. Ended up replacing the unit under new purchase warranty. On the new one, even a modest press on the watch face brings up Customize mode - definitely never worked that well on my original device.

Mar 25, 2016 6:02 AM in response to sammytex00

Same problem here 42mm... bought last Decmber (2015)... worked fine ... had to restore my iphone 6S+ yesterday since I was unlocking it from T-Mobile. Once I got the phone back and paired with the Watch the Force Touch stopped working. Something got zapped during the phone restore and the watch went through a similar restore (for some reason). I don't think this is the issue with anyone else but its what happened to mine. i now have an appointment with the Genius Bar. I'd prefer a replacement since I fear it will happen again and sort of glad I bought the sport now. i sure would hate to own a more expensive one that is this fragile. There have been no drops of the phone or physical damage. The Force Touch Hardware or software that controls force touch just has issues.

Here's hoping they figure this out.... It seems that most bugs I've noticed are met with silence. Sort of like silent recalls on our autos.

Force touch not working on AppleWatch Sport.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.