Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My external hard drive won't upload my iPhoto pics to my mac mavericks

I uploaded all my iphotos onto an external hard drive recently, before I got a cable replaced in my Mac Mavericks (which would have deleted all my files/photos etc.) , but when I went to put all my photos back on to my laptop -it wouldn't let me.

When I plug in the external hard drive, the IPhoto app pops up and nothing else. It then says I need to quit the app and upgrade to the new iPhoto . The only way of doing this is to upgrade to Yosemite which I don't want after reading all the ghastly negative reviews about Yosemite!!

Also no one appears happy with the new "photos" app. One review stating, "it's one step backwards and one step sideways !!!"

It appears that Apple are forcing it's customers to upgrade without options or pushing customers towards the iCloud??.

Any suggestions on how to get my photographs back on my laptop without upgrading to Yosemite or iCloud? Could I install Photoshop Elements and maybe that would resolve the issue?. The laptop and external hard drive only appear to be recognizing the iPhoto app and nothing else. I cannot put them in a file of any sort.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 1, 2015 7:06 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2015 7:12 AM in response to Rysz

This may fix similar cases to mine, but not for me unfortunately (as I found out half way down his suggestions).

Do you think if I installed Photoshop Elements it would let me upload the iPhoto pics off my external drive to the software ? I already installed photoshop once, but lost it all when I had to get my cable in laptop replaced. I think you get two installs ?

May 2, 2015 8:03 AM in response to Rooney'sGirl

I'm afraid your post isn't clear.

I uploaded all my iphotos onto an external hard drive recently, before I got a cable replaced in my Mac Mavericks(which would have deleted all my files/photos etc.) , but when I went to put all my photos back on to my laptop -it wouldn't let me.

Exactly what did you move and how? And how are you trying to put things back. Where exactly does it breakdown?

When I plug in the external hard drive, the IPhoto app pops up and nothing else. It then says I need to quit the app and upgrade to the new iPhoto

But this will not have happened unless you also upgraded something else - like the OS for instance. Can you give us the exact error message you get?

My external hard drive won't upload my iPhoto pics to my mac mavericks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.