Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I copy my pictures folder on MacBook Pro to my external hard drive?

How can I copy my pictures folder from Finder on MacBook Pro to my external hard drive?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 1, 2015 9:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:40 PM

After plugging in the external hard drive you'll see it mount. Depending on whether you've configured external drives to appear on the desktop, you'll either see its icon on the desktop or, you'll have to open a Finder window and you'll see it's icon in the sidebar to the left under Devices. Double click on the drive's icon to open a Finder window to the drive. Now open another window to your pictures folder and drag the pictures folder onto the external drive.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2015 10:40 PM in response to suelarocca

After plugging in the external hard drive you'll see it mount. Depending on whether you've configured external drives to appear on the desktop, you'll either see its icon on the desktop or, you'll have to open a Finder window and you'll see it's icon in the sidebar to the left under Devices. Double click on the drive's icon to open a Finder window to the drive. Now open another window to your pictures folder and drag the pictures folder onto the external drive.

May 2, 2015 10:48 AM in response to dwb

I did try that but only within one Finder window. I will try with two finder windows open or just drag the folder to the icon on the desktop. I actually thought I had lost the folder once because I dragged it to the name of the hard drive within the same finder window and it disappeared from the finder list. I only want to copy it and not transfer it so I hope this works!

May 2, 2015 11:31 AM in response to suelarocca

Do you want to copy the pictures or just move them to your external to save space on your Mac hard drive?

I hold down the Command key after I selected all of the images I want to move, then drag and drop them into the external. By holding down the command key that moves them from your Mac to your external drive, and allows you to recover that disk space back on your mac.

How can I copy my pictures folder on MacBook Pro to my external hard drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.