Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Thunderbolt Display Update 1.2

Auto Updates keeps telling me I need to update Thunderbolt Display.

When I run the update I get a message saying unable to update.

How do I apply the update?

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 1, 2015 9:18 PM

8 replies

May 4, 2015 12:55 AM in response to allan505

App Store asked me to update again!

Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update 1.2

This update improves reliability etc etc.....

So I will try agin, for about the 20th time.........

The bar graph starts working, as if the update is being applied...... then the same message appears...

Thunderbolt Display Firmware Update could not complete.

Anyone know why it does not work or if I should bother with this update?

Al

May 30, 2015 4:20 PM in response to allan505

Same thing here, tried installing 20+ times with the lid open, sometimes even with the lid closed to see if it changed anything. My power is connected. I use MBA running Yosemite. How do we get apple to address the problem? Anybody have a support agreement with them like AppleCare that can share what they said?? BTW, several posters from different threads say to keep your lid open when applying the update. Of note, I have never been able to use the supplied cable with the Thunderbolt display as it doesn't even register on my Mac, so I bought a separate cable and connected it to one of the thunderbolt ports, which has worked fine. This was not a cable problem, as it happened on 2 consecutive purchases of Thunderbolt display, and on the wife's MBA.

Jun 5, 2015 7:25 PM in response to drinkwd40mkay

I tried again today, with MacBook lid open, still no success.

When the MacBook lid is open the mouse only works on the Thunderbolt display, not on the MacBook screen so I can't answer the questions until I close the lid and the display returns to the Thunderbolt.

Also, the Thunderbolt is becoming harder to get going when I connect the MacBook. Sometimes have to completely shut down the computer and re start a few times before the Thunderbolt connects.

Rgds,

Allan

Thunderbolt Display Update 1.2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.