Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my iPad a brick now? (No jailbreak or pirated music)

I have a 16gb white wi-fi only iPad 2 that I bought 3 1/2 years ago brand new from Sam's Club. Earlier tonight it died so I plugged it into the wall to charge, I left it for about 15 minutes, came back and held the power button to turn it on, all it did was pop up the white apple in the center of the screen, which remained there for a long period of time (I'd say about 3-4 minutes) then the screen would shut off. So I remembered that when my iPad would spaz out I would hold the power and home buttons at the same time for a soft-reset, so I did that,the first few times nothing happened, then really fast it flashed the screen with the charge cable on it with the red iTunes bubble above it (This has never happened to me before on my iPad, I've only seen it happen on my sister's iPad when she installed iOS8, so I know this means that iTunes crashed and got wiped off my iPad and needs to be re-installed from a computer). After I finished freaking out (I couldn't remember if my photos were synced to iCloud, since I have THREE YEARS OF PHOTOS ON IT), I plugged it into my computer, opened iTunes and after a minute it ran me through the recovery process, I did and iTunes said it was finished. My iPad did not automatically turn on so I held down the power button, the same thing happened as before, the white apple for around 3 minutes, then black screen, every once in a while seeing the charge cable with the red iTunes bubble. I've tried re-installing iTunes again, but now my computer wont even recognize that my iPad is plugged in (including the iTunes client).

I have done nothing with my iPad that it isn't supposed to do, I have never jailbroken it, I have never put pirated music on it, nothing of the sort, so I am totally enraged at this right now. This was the labor of two years of chores, lawn mowing and leaf raking, $100 of it was a birthday gift from my mom and dad (the other $300 mine), there are a ton of photos on it, I've documented two whole Christmases over the course of the whole month of December on it, if I lose this I'm going to be extremely saddened. Not to mention I got it on my 13th birthday.

The only things I've done wrong with it is one time it fell screen down on my floor, which sent a crack from the top left corner to the bottom right corner (but that was months ago), the other thing I've done wrong is I have't updated it since I installed the first version of iOS8, but until now, nothing has gone wrong.

Please, I'm begging, can anyone tell me anything about this. Has my iPad somehow bricked?

P.S. I'm sorry about posting this in every category, but none of them really fit my situation, so I chose all of them.

iPad 2, iOS 8, 16gb wifi only

Posted on May 1, 2015 10:15 PM

7 replies

May 1, 2015 10:52 PM in response to ShazamoTheGreat

ShazamoTheGreat wrote:

I have done nothing with my iPad that it isn't supposed to do.....

The only things I've done wrong with it is one time it fell screen down on my floor, which sent a crack from the top left corner to the bottom right corner (but that was months ago).....

Dropping the iPad would be in the category of things you're not supposed to do with an iPad. Make an appointment at the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store. You may be eligible for an out-of-warranty replacement.

May 2, 2015 7:10 AM in response to ShazamoTheGreat

ShazamoTheGreat wrote:

Unfortunatley the closest Apple store to my location is about an hour and a half away, I'd like to be able to fix this iPad, do you have any idea what could be going wrong with it?

From the sound of it, nothing user fixable. Use the Contact Us link at the bottom right of every page for information on how to make arrangements to send your device into Apple for evaluation.

May 2, 2015 11:43 AM in response to ShazamoTheGreat

Unfortunately the information on backups are inacessible. Thr only way I know of is to set up a new or used iPad as new, When your setting it up it it will ask you you if you wish to set it up from a iTunes or iCloud backup. Choose iTunes. Once set up you'll have a near clone of your present iPad. Is there any chance you also had a DropBox account for your photos your forgetting about ?

Is my iPad a brick now? (No jailbreak or pirated music)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.