Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove Private Window Option in Safari MacBookPro

Hello there,

I am trying to remove the Private Window Option in my Safari MBP Version: 10.10.3. I have found the following guide below, but I could not find the "MainMenu.nib" file. Is there a way to find this? Or is it possible to remove the Private Window option at all by not doing the below steps? Thank you!

Disabiling for Safari:

The following steps will disable private browsing on all accounts. Taken from: http://guides.macrumors.com/Safari#Disable_Private_Browsing (Note: you must have the Xcode tools installed - can get from App store):

1. Control or right-click on the Safari icon in Finder and choose Show Package Contents.
  2. In the window that appears, navigate to Contents/Resources/English.lproj/ and double click on the MainMenu.nib file. (I cannot locate this file)
  3. In Interface Builder (From Xcode,) select the window showing the Safari menu bar.
  4. Select the Safari menu, then select the private browsing item and press delete.
  5. Type command-S to save the changes, then close Interface Builder and restart Safari.
  6. This removes the Private Browsing menu option, effectively disabling private browsing.

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2009), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 1, 2015 11:10 PM

3 replies

May 2, 2015 1:27 AM in response to UserBean18

There were some means of customizing Safari through OnyX, a utility interface tool that

can be used to perform a variety of changes in OS X and a few of them could mess it up.

You can modify hidden features in the OS X by use of OnyX, instead of attempting to

perform some modification by command-line or Terminal; although the Man access

also appears there, too.

•Titanium Software - Home: (see OnyX)

http://www.titanium.free.fr/

A few command-line or terminal methods of changing how OS X works may be ill-advised

to attempt without learning more about how all of that works and also how to understand

the background system that changes when you mess with it. The GUI is the top layer.

Did you look into the Developer settings for Safari to see if that will change your windowed

options, without any external or deeper access to attempts to alter Private window view?

For me, I've not used Safari all that much, and not as default main browser in any of my Macs.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 4, 2015 9:48 AM in response to UserBean18

Had you tried any of the information that may have been available via the Safari Help viewer?

By default, private window or browsing is usually always turned off. So I wonder if there wasn't

some item or occurrence that may have changed this at a deeper level.

Since Safari is essentially part of the OS X, you may have to consider if you'd want to re-install

the entire system; however this odd situation may have been saved in any backups to in a Time

Machine or other methods you may have used to make & keep a backup, to include a clone.

Perhaps someone with experience in the Safari, using the instruction you found to change it

via the XCode method, to delete the private browsing option. None of that should be needed.

Sorry to not be of much help in this matter, as the issue is nothing I'd even heard of before.😐

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.