Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps wanting to access my location when not in use (and not giving the option to turn it off)

For most apps, I can choose to share my location 1) not at all; 2) when the app is in use (my favourite); 3) always (even when not in use).

Why do some apps not offer the second option?

For instance, I want to use an app that locates the nearest automatic external defibrillator (if someone has a cardiac arrest) but I can only use the app when I allow the app to access my location all the time. Given the fact that I will use this app perhaps only once every 15 years, I see no point in giving them my location for the next 15 years! That's just a waste of battery power and also a breach of my privacy.

Second example: Apple's own weather app. I check the weather maybe once every month. I do not want the app to locate me all the time. But I can only choose between option 1) and 3) above.

Is there a technical reason apps work like this? Or are they just sneakily trying to get as much information about me as possible?

Thanks for your thoughts.

PS: I am using iphone 6, iOS8.3

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 2, 2015 12:51 AM

There are no replies.

Apps wanting to access my location when not in use (and not giving the option to turn it off)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.