Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes for Windows processes consuming CPU resources even when iTunes not running

iTunes processes, particularly distnoted.exe and synchserver.exe continue to consume large CPU resources, even when iTunes has been closed. Currently they are each consuming 26% of the CPU load, this is unnecessary, why don't they close down automatically when iTunes is closed?

ACER Laptop-OTHER, Windows 8, Windows 8.1

Posted on May 2, 2015 4:10 AM

1 reply

Sep 1, 2017 5:15 AM in response to PeterR1947

Hi All,

I had that problem too and when I changed my laptop I was hesitant to install iTunes. However I found a workaround.

Cancelling the services that slow down the computer and create a small program to open them when I only need them.

also stop using iTunes to listen to music, Winamp does a much better job.

So to modify the services you have to go to: Control panel > Administrative Tools > Services.

You find the following: “Apple Mobile Device Service”, then double click on it, look for Start up time and choose “Manual” and click OK; do the same for “Bonjour Service”

Now, you need to find “iPod Service”, then double click on it, look for Start up time and choose “Automatic-Delayed Start” and click OK.

That will stop the services from running all the time when you start your computer. Now, to activate them in order to use iTunes make the following program:

Open Notepad, then copy-paste the following script:

NET START "Apple Mobile Device Service"

NET START "Bonjour Service"

NET START "iPod Service"

start "" "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunes.exe"

EXIT

Save it as whatever name you want just make sure you change .txt for .bat, for example “iTunes start.bat”

You can save this file in the iTunes folder and make a shortcut to your start programs, and if you want the iTunes logo on it just right click on the shortcut it and choose properties, on the general tab click change icon, then hit browse and go to your iTunes folder (Usually in c:\program files\iTunes) double click on the iTunes program (itunes.exe), then pick the icon logo you want and click OK. on the general tab of the shortcut you can even select “Run:” and change the normal window to Minimized, so this little program doesn’t show up.

And you are done!!

This has saved me a lot of headaches with low resources. I hope you find it useful.

iTunes for Windows processes consuming CPU resources even when iTunes not running

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.