Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why did Apple remove the "All Movie" category from the purchased movies menu?

We have purchased over 200 moivies from itunes, and until the most recent software update we could always view all of our movies together on Apple TV. When you choose purchased movies the "All Movies" category is no longer available, it's been replaced by "Shared Movies" which would include movies purchased by your family members. Now the only way to play your purchased movies is to go to the different genres below, that is a problem because it's not easy to determine what genre the movies you want falls into....for example the Star Wars Movies series is divided in to two different categories, the same goes for all of our kids movies, they are in mutlipule categories which makes it hard to scroll throug multipule categories to find the movies you want. This seems like such a small thing, but really does make Apple TV much more complicated and frustrating to use. Please HELP Apple and bring the All Movies Category back! Thank you.

AppleTV 2, Apple TV 7.2 update

Posted on May 2, 2015 6:32 AM

21 replies

May 2, 2015 10:18 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I don't use Family Sharing currently but if i were designing teh interface I'd probably have My Films and Family Sharing menu with say Bill's Movies, Ted's Movies, Anne's Movies etc underneath, along with All Shared Movies.

Does anything like that appear?

Perhaps you're not supposed to know that Auntie Flo has bought the latest Chippendales show, but you'd be seriously wondering if Uncle George or Cousin Mike did 👿

May 2, 2015 10:36 AM in response to Alley_Cat

I don't use family sharing either, so I'm not sure of the implications. However, assuming this is something to do with family sharing (some doubt, I saw another thread where a poster had the menu missing and didn't use family sharing) it would appear that it is intentional for it to appear in one state but not in another, this tends to tell me it's received a good coat of thinking about.

May 2, 2015 11:24 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston Churchill wrote:

I don't use family sharing either, so I'm not sure of the implications. However, assuming this is something to do with family sharing (some doubt, I saw another thread where a poster had the menu missing and didn't use family sharing) it would appear that it is intentional for it to appear in one state but not in another, this tends to tell me it's received a good coat of thinking about.

I sincerely doubt there's much thought gone into a retrograde user interface and experience 😉

May 2, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Alley_Cat

Yes that's the thread they said they don't have family sharing enabled.

In respect of why, if indeed it's more than an error occurring for some users, I usually find sound logic behind Apples decisions, I appreciate they rile some users, but I usually find they are operating in somewhat unusual circumstances and haven't really considered how the way they wish things to work would impact the other 98% of users. Of course some things remain unfathomable, such as separate seasons in the TV show list. 😟

May 2, 2015 12:01 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I know you have great faith in Apple logic, but the separate Season issue really is bizarre - personally I think it's a complete disconnect between iOS development and what users want/need - it might take a fundamental overhaul of the iOS code on iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch/AppleTV but it's such an obvious and simple user interface necessity which was done properly on AppleTV 1 that I have little faith personally there's any common sense in the AppleTV enhancement plans....

May 5, 2015 1:16 PM in response to sammy_2002

I agree 100%. Removing the "All Movies" tab from the purchases menu makes it extremely difficult to navigate through my 380 movie purchases. I noticed several people talking about using Family Sharing as an issue but I am not utilizing Family Sharing. I called Apple customer service and the lady I spoke to assured me that there have been A LOT of complaints regarding this issue. She suggested that I go to Apple TV Feedback and leave my comments there because that is the main place they go to survey any issues customers are having. I refuse to purchase any more movies until this is fixed. Apple is supposed to provide products that are both easy to navigate and user friendly. For me, my Apple TV is no longer either of those things......

APPLE, PLEASE HELP.

May 6, 2015 4:56 PM in response to sammy_2002

Yes, Apple Tv Management Department, Is messing everything up right now. They took away the purchased menu in the movie section and the genre has the 7 harry potter movies in 4 categories. I am even wondering if some rumors are true that they can take our purchased movies away because they have lost the right to sell them.

vazandrewMay 5, 2015 3:34 PM Re: Can't set up Apple TV after update
Re: Can't set up Apple TV after updatein response to Movinut

Best to start a new thread when posting something unrelated. In any case, You can give Apple feedback directly about the issue with movie genres. Yes, licensing will expire and the providers will remove said content. You are only losing access to the cloud for streaming/re-downloading, which is a bonus, your purchase only entitles you to the initial digital download (which should take place right away and also backed up)

https://www.apple.com/feedback/

To the OP. What icons do you see on the main menu screen? Are you stuck at setting date/time?

Why did Apple remove the "All Movie" category from the purchased movies menu?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.