Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't play sound through HDMI, everything else will :/

Hi

I recently downloaded the latest version of itunes which is when this problem started. Basically I can't get itunes to play sound through my tv speakers, only the laptop's own.

Every other sound will play through my tv speakers, google chrome, windows media, vlc etc..

I'm on windows 8.

Is it a setting within itunes that I have to change, or a system setting? I can't figure it out so any help will be much appreciated!

iTunes-OTHER

Posted on May 2, 2015 2:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 19, 2015 7:59 PM

I had this problem too, and I figured out how to fix it. Hit the Ctrl key and comma key simultaneously and you will bring up the Preferences menu. Click Playback on the top, and under Play Audio Using (about 2/3 of the way down) change it to Direct Sound. Exit iTunes and restart and it will play all audio through the HDMI.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 19, 2015 7:59 PM in response to HigherThanTheSun

I had this problem too, and I figured out how to fix it. Hit the Ctrl key and comma key simultaneously and you will bring up the Preferences menu. Click Playback on the top, and under Play Audio Using (about 2/3 of the way down) change it to Direct Sound. Exit iTunes and restart and it will play all audio through the HDMI.

Mar 23, 2017 12:53 PM in response to HigherThanTheSun

I have Windows 10. I added an additional monitor to my laptop via an HDMI cable. Everything produced sound, except iTunes. I fixed the problem by going to the "edit" drop down button, clicked the preference button, went to the "playback" tab, went 2/3 of the way down to "play audio using:," I selected "Direct Sound." Immediately after, I was prompted to restart iTunes. ITunes has been sounding great ever since.

Dec 18, 2016 4:04 PM in response to Jaredfromny

Thanks very much for the answer/solution above. It absolutely worked for me, and solved the same problem I had -- getting no sound out from ITunes on my Win 10 laptop to an HDTV connected via HDMI cable, even though all other sources outputed their audio just fine.

On my own, I had tried changing the sound output settings in the ITunes preferences under Playback. But that didn't change anything, because I didn't think to exit and restart ITunes after making the change to "Direct Sound." With your guidance, I did the ITunes restart, and bingo, the Itunes audio output now playing through the HDMI connection to my HDTV.

One other issue: When I connected a new Win 10 laptop to my TV via HDMI, I got a volume control setting in my taskbar for my Realtek audio output. But when I switched my TV to the HDMI input channel for my laptop, I got a second choice in my laptop's volume control icon with the name of my TV.

In order to get the ITunes audio output to play to my TV via the HDMI connection, I also had to change the setting in my volume control icon to the TV name setting and away from the Realtek speakers/soundcard output. If I leave the volume control setting set to the Realtek output, I still get no sound to the TV via the HDMI connection.

And, when I switch the TV's input selection away from the laptop's HDMI feed, the corresponding volume choice for the TV disappears from my laptop's volume control icon in the taskbar. But when I reselect the laptop's HDMI feed on my TV, the corresponding volume control choice re-appears in my laptop's sound control icon.

iTunes won't play sound through HDMI, everything else will :/

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.