Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using a MacBook for Xcode/IntelliJ?

Hi,

I have a 2009 MacBook Pro. It's been a wonderful machine and I still use it plenty 6 years on. I am, however, in the market for a new laptop.

I have a 27-inch 2012 iMac (i7) at home which is what I do anything that needs a lot of power on. So what I need is a portable, lightweight machine with long battery life that I can do things like web development and application programming on. I am a student and as such most of what I do is in either Java or C (web stuff in Node). I tried a Chromebook earlier on this year and ended up loving it for using tmux/vim to work, but loading up an IDE was not a workable possibility. I loved the fact that 15 hours of battery life coupled with a screen that was clear to see and a half decent keyboard meant I could work nearly anywhere, anytime. I need a Mac though!

So I'm choosing between:

- MacBook 12" 1.3GHz

- MacBook Pro 13" 2.7GHz

Has anyone used the 12" with an IDE and if so, what's it like?

Thanks,

Freddie

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 3:07 AM

7 replies

May 2, 2015 4:18 AM in response to EOS iPhone 3G 705 WiFi

Hey!

So i just picked up a 12" macbook, 1.2 Ghz, and to my surprise, i was able to run JBoss, JBDS (JBoss IDE) and a virtual instance of Linux (Cent OS 7) rather well. However, i have more of a leadership role now and not really deep in the weeds anymore... More POCs and hello world examples; really have not tried any "real work" on it but ran fine for me so far. You're a student, so not sure how much raw processing you need. Are you running the application server locally? If you want to be safe, I'd go for the MBP, OR you can configure a MBA with the i7 2.2Ghz which will be more than enough. However, Apple's 14 day return is really "no questions asked" i picked up a 15" MBP last month, really hesitant, but the apple employee talked me into it stating "Just try it out, if it does not work out return it in 14 days, we support that!" I did return it with zero issues and there is no restocking fee.

May 2, 2015 4:30 AM in response to John0001

As far as compute power, I don't imagine it'll be too demanding. Compiling and running aren't too much of a problem. They aren't massive projects that we complete. I do want flexibility though. We have a laboratory space with around 300 machines between the 600 of us on the course (1st to 4th years) and they've pretty much all got i7-3770Ks or above. i.e. If I need something big compiling into class files or a binary, the power is there in heaps.

I know the MBP is the safe choice. It's what I've got but thinner, more powerful, better battery etc. It's not the design choice though...

How are you finding the battery life to be?

May 2, 2015 4:51 AM in response to EOS iPhone 3G 705 WiFi

So i dont know why i didnt post this, but back in 2010 i went back to school for a MS in CIS. The programming requirements were Java (desktop apps, not Java EE) and Web app development (XHTML, HTML5, PHP, and JS). i bought a 2010 MBA that had 2GB of memory and a Core 2 Duo and it was more than enough power to run all this, and i just uncommented the included Apache and PHP on Mac to run the web apps. I also took a somewhat advanced RMDBS course using MySQL that ran fine on the 2010; just recalled i used MySQL in the web app dev class too. if the 2010 MBA was fine, the new MacBook will be more than enough; definatelly more powerful then the 2010 MBA i recently sold.

Like you said, if you find you need some real power, just use the lab machine. Writing code on the MacBook will not give you any issues.

So battery, two answers. the other week we had an all day hack-a-thon and i ran 100% on battery for 9 hours. I rarely put it to sleep, BUT i was only taking notes, answering email's and IM pretty much non stop. I did crack open the IDE here and there, but didnt have the need to start JBoss or anything locally. was very impressed with basic use battery life, and walked out with 4% battery left.

However, if you do have Apache, PHP, MySQL etc running it will suck the battery life. no so much just using IntelliJ. I think you'll be fine for all day use. One note of caution, the bottom will get rather warm when under a decent load. There are no moving parts in the MacBook, so no fans. Not burning hot or anything, just warm enough where you'd expect the fans to kick in, which dont exist 🙂

May 12, 2015 1:34 PM in response to John0001

On my current machine, I struggle to get > 3.5 hours out of it when I'm working. So to be honest, either machine will be an improvement on that!!

I've ordered a MacBook 12-inch now, so I'll look forward to that. I'm intending to do a review for it's intended purpose when I get it, so hopefully that will pop up on highscorereviews.com

Jun 4, 2015 9:33 AM in response to EOS iPhone 3G 705 WiFi

I've actually got so bored of waiting for it and my current machine is slowing my workflow now that I went and ordered a rMBP today. (Specifically the 13-inch 256GB model).

Ironically, after I hit place order, I was walking home and got a notification to say the MacBook has been dispatched before I could get home and cancel it.

I'll hopefully be able to provide some feedback in the near future about comparing the rMB to the new and the old pro.

Using a MacBook for Xcode/IntelliJ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.