Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Completely delete photos from photos?

So I have updated to OSX version which has built in Photos. I tested it out and it is a total mess and completely horrible. Regardless of the terrible user experience, I just want to ask a simple question, how do you delete photos from that application? I right clicked it and deleted a photo which I manually imported into the library by dragging into the application window. Then I found out that it was all fake. I searched the photo name using spotlight and realise that the photo which I have just deleted was still there and haven't been removed into the trash. And then I look for every single corner and menus, there were no instructions or so called 'deleted files', like in iPhoto, that allows me to reveal what I have deleted. So all the photos i have deleted will be in the library building up Ghost storage and eventually swallow all my free space. Anyone can help?

Posted on May 2, 2015 12:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2015 1:26 AM

When you delete an image in Photos it's marked for deletion and you can see all the Photos so marked using the File -> Show Recently Deleted command.

Your mages will be deleted over a period of about 30 days. It works like this to make sure that the iCloud Library can sync the decision between your Mac and other devices, plus you also have time to change your mind. (This is quite analogous to iPhoto's trash)

If you want to immediately delete an image then note the Delete Button in the Recently Deleted album.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 2, 2015 1:26 AM in response to Lovejmak

When you delete an image in Photos it's marked for deletion and you can see all the Photos so marked using the File -> Show Recently Deleted command.

Your mages will be deleted over a period of about 30 days. It works like this to make sure that the iCloud Library can sync the decision between your Mac and other devices, plus you also have time to change your mind. (This is quite analogous to iPhoto's trash)

If you want to immediately delete an image then note the Delete Button in the Recently Deleted album.

How to Completely delete photos from photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.