Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot type text in Safari!

How do I fix text entry oddities? Cannot edit text without leaving box, etc.

This is happening on iPad Mini, Mini RD, Air, etc.

ONe wants to type text into a box, such as the ones for entering comments here. Starts OK,, but then stops working. You have to send away the keyboard, then click back inside the box.

THen, if you select text for deleting, it will let you delete,but will NOT let you type until you exit and click back in!

HOwever, you have to precisely hit the spot where you want to type or you are stuck mobley being able to type at the point where the cursor landed!

OR, you can get stuck at the last character, and until you send say keyboard and tap back in, you,re stuck.

NOte: every place, I typed click above, I meant to write TAP. This is n an iPad Mni, Air, etc. and it happens on most web sits, especially here!

iPad, iOS 5.1.1, Magical! Frye was so right!

Posted on May 2, 2015 3:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 2, 2015 9:43 AM

The iPad Safari implementation does not handle text entry very well in the text fields of the Jive-based Apple forums. You will have to wait until Apple corrects these problem, hopefully, in the not too distant future.

Submit all your comments to Apple at http://www.apple.com/feedback/ipad.html

8 replies

May 4, 2015 3:56 PM in response to AstroMacMan

It helps if you type using the html editor rather than using the full editor. You can type your text and then go back to the full editor. I don't know if you will see this when I post the screenshot, but I have done no editing on my own. No double caps at the beginning of the sentence, and I was able to tap and start typing right away.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2015 4:44 PM in response to AstroMacMan

I have never had problems using the html editor at all. It responds right away. None of the tap the text field, hide the keyboard, tap the text field again issues that you have with the full editor, No double caps. None of those problems. The only thing is that you can't edit with it, meaning if you want to use bold, underline, or post a screenshot, you have to go back to the full editor and that merely takes another tap on Show Full Editor. It really can reduce some of the frustration that you can experience here trying to type. The autocorrect seems to work OK as well.

May 4, 2015 4:51 PM in response to jazcan

jazcan wrote:

GREAT TIP! Thanks Demo.

I wish that I could take credit for it, but turingtest2 is the one that gave me the tip. tt2 is an iTunes for Windows guru. He is very knowledgeable about all things iTunes and he is a wealth of useful information in general. He has also come up with some very useful suggestions for making this whole site a bit more user friendly.

Cannot type text in Safari!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.