Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why, when dragged, does a file shrink in size?

Hi,

I created a folder on my Desktop, named it and dragged image files into it from my AP Library clone on an external backup drive. When I checked them out they were considerably smaller files. One went from 12.97 MB to 2.8 MB.

Any clues? Thanks a lot,

Raphael

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), null

Posted on May 2, 2015 6:05 AM

4 replies

May 2, 2015 5:48 PM in response to rshammaa

When you drag from the library, you just get a preview that Aperture generates. To get the "real thing", you have to choose to "Export versions" or perhaps "Export master" depending on what you are trying to accomplish. There are a lot of variables that you have to tell Aperture when preparing your versions for use outside of Aperture, and without that opportunity with drag-and-drop, you simply get a super-simple version of the photo.

nathan

May 2, 2015 6:11 PM in response to Mr Endo

Thank you Nathan.

I was replacing 10 images in my original Library from my duplicate Library.

Of course, I wanted to maintain all the adjustments that were made to each. So which Export setting would have been appropriate to put the full, adjusted image files back into the original Library as if they were never lost?

Thanks a lot.

May 3, 2015 2:37 PM in response to rshammaa

Ah two different libraries. Drag-and-drop as well as export are intended to get previews or pictures to use outside of Aperture. They are full pictures, not your master plus "recipes", as are stored within the library.

You could try putting those photos from your second library into a new folder or album of their own, and then use "Export as Library" on when you've selected that folder or album.. Then you could "Import Library" after reloading Aperture with your first library.

nathan

Why, when dragged, does a file shrink in size?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.