Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo library syncing incompletely

Mac mini running 10.10.3 and iTunes 12.1.27 and Photos app version 1.0, iPad Air 2 running 8.3, with over 12GB free

I plug my iPad into the USB and sync some, but not all, of my Photo library. One smart album has the photos from the past five weeks. On the Mac, that album is showing, right now, 157 photos, including 15 I took yesterday. This is one of the albums I sync to my iPad. But on the iPad, this album has 142 photos.

One suggestion on these forums I have already tried is to un-sync and remove the photos and then re-sync them, but this resulted in the exact same 142 photos showing up. And there's no error message popping up on the Mac or the iPad, they're just... not there.

The 15 photos taken yesterday do have one this that sets them apart from the rest, they were taken with a new and differnt camera. But, that camera is the iPad Air 2, so it really ahouldn't be an issue, should it?

The only other workaround I can think is to create a regular album and put new pictures in it myself, adding amd deleting as needed. But, I can't help but think, isn't that the computer's job?

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.3, null

Posted on May 2, 2015 5:06 AM

6 replies

May 2, 2015 7:29 AM in response to Kendall342

I'm a little confused as to what you want to accomplish and what is actually happening.

The computer is used to organize your photos and the Photos app is good for that. You then sync that organization or that part of the organization you want to your iPad. Photos taken by the iPad are copied to the computer.

If you have your Photostream turned on, photos taken with an iOS device will appear in the Photos app. You can then use the Photos app to organize those photos into albums and then sync selected albums to your iOS device using iTunes.

May 2, 2015 8:50 AM in response to Ralph9430

I do not have Photo Stream or iCloud syncing turned on. And the photos, once imported to Photos, were deleted from my iPad's camera roll, as part of the sync process. They are also not hiding in my recently deleted images.

Basically, I want this to work right the old school way, the way it has for years. Photos are taken, then copied to the computer when the camera is plugged in. If they get organized into an album that is then synced to the iPad, the iPad then gets a copy of that album when it is plugged in and synced, with all the pictures that are in it on the Mac.

These fifteen images have been copied to the Mac's Photo library, but despite repeated sync attempts and the fact that they appear in a smart album that is otherwise synced, they do not appear in the same album on the iPad.

May 3, 2015 5:02 AM in response to jazcan

This did the trick! And as a bonus, it reclaimed some much-needed HD space. Thanks!

And to anyone reading this thread with similar issues: to find the Ipod Photo Cache folder, right-click on the Photo Library and Show Package Contents. To move it to the trash, Photos should not be running. (It will start without error, but will not finish until Photos is quit.)

May 5, 2015 2:42 AM in response to Kendall342

Of course, whenI say it "worked", I mean once. It did not appear to solve the issue going forward. I took a few more photos this weekend, and the same thing is happening with them. Deleting the iPod Photos Cache every single time seems like a lot of work.

While i am on the topic, it also seems that Photos in iOS sorts its images by the file date, not the date I told it that goes with the picture. This is fine for digital camera photos, but now every scanned image is suddenly appearing in the chronological view on the date it was scanned, not the date I told iPhoto it was taken. Oddly enough, Photos the Mac app does not have this problem.

And this photo album is merely a collection of the last month's worth of images, which would seem to be unnecessary since Apple now put in "Include all photos from [last month]" as an option. But for whatever reason, when I turn that on, it does show it syncing a few additional photos to the device, but... they are not the past month's photos, I don't know what it's putting on there but that's not it, the recent photos are still missing.

Photo library syncing incompletely

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.