Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"document.pages couldn't be opened"

I have word documents set to open in pages. I frequently encounter the issue where I download a word document from the website of one of my teachers. If I try to modify and save this document, fails to save because it tries to save the same document with the pages extension. User uploaded file

This appears when trying to save Research Notes Pages.docx, because it's trying to find the same document with the pages extension. Running pages 5.5.3.

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 2, 2015 7:51 AM

2 replies

May 2, 2015 10:51 AM in response to Webmaster4o

Rename Research Notes Pages.docx to Research Notes.docx, and then open the later in Pages. See if this fixes the issue.

Understand that Pages v5.5.3 is not a Word clone and first, must translate that Word .docx content (if it can) into the internal .pages document format. Any export to Word .docx is another best attempt translation from .pages to the Word document architecture.

If you want to work in the native Word document architecture, without translation, then you need Office for Mac 2011 update 14.4.9. This is the recommended version of Word on Mac for exchanging documents with teachers that may be using any version of Word on Windows. You do not have to worry that Pages v5.5.3 will perform acrobatics on your Word content, and the teacher cannot read it.

May 2, 2015 11:45 AM in response to VikingOSX

VikingOSX wrote:

Rename Research Notes Pages.docx to Research Notes.docx, and then open the later in Pages. See if this fixes the issue.

Understand that Pages v5.5.3 is not a Word clone and first, must translate that Word .docx content (if it can) into the internal .pages document format. Any export to Word .docx is another best attempt translation from .pages to the Word document architecture.

If you want to work in the native Word document architecture, without translation, then you need Office for Mac 2011 update 14.4.9. This is the recommended version of Word on Mac for exchanging documents with teachers that may be using any version of Word on Windows. You do not have to worry that Pages v5.5.3 will perform acrobatics on your Word content, and the teacher cannot read it.

Ok. Microsoft Office, IMO, is the enemy. Can't stand it. But my school uses it, so I usually either open it in pages for mac, or upload it to iCloud pages, which works even better. Thanks for the response.

"document.pages couldn't be opened"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.